Find the answer to your Linux question:
When I copied some files from the system drive to the USB drive, the system drive got full. I believe that the data has ended up in some kind of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Copy to USB Hard disk filled the system drive

When I copied some files from the system drive to the USB drive, the system drive got full. I believe that the data has ended up in some kind of cache or spool directory. I suspect that the USB drive was not properly mounted when I issued the cp command. I canít find the where the data has gone. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Regards

If the drive was not mounted, then the cp command will simply have copied it to that directory on the local hard disk. Where the data now is should be where it originally was (if you cp'd it) AND in the new location
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by sdousley View Post
    If the drive was not mounted, then the cp command will simply have copied it to that directory on the local hard disk. Where the data now is should be where it originally was (if you cp'd it) AND in the new location
    Ok, how can I see if the physical location is on the HD or the USB drive?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    not entirely sure, only way i can think is to check where it is, and then check if that folder is mounted or not. If not, keep foing up the file system tree till u find where it's mounted.
    "I am not an alcoholic, alcoholics go to meetings"
    Registered Linux user = #372327