Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

right i've selected that mode and selected /dva/sda6 but now its asking me which filesystem-type i want out of:

ext3
    reiserfs
    jfs

any ideas?

SuperMod (Back again) devils casper's Avatar
    you have created ext3 partition already. select ext3 only. installer will reformat it.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Do I install the grub boot-loader to the MBR or the Root Partition?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    install GRUB in MBR only. if you select root partition, you have to edit boot.ini file of Windows to set Windows Boot Loader for dual booting. its not recommended.

Its asking me to insert a floppy disk but I don't have a floppy drive, if I just select no is there anything I have to do or do I not particularly need to insert a floppy disk?

Floppy is for creating Rescue Media. no need to create, skip it.

Thanks for everything, I have finally installed Knoppix, thank you so much.

Two last things if you dont mind,
    1) is it possible to share files between the two os's, e.g. save a file using Knoppix and be able to access the same file when in windows?

2) Do i have to do anything in particular to be able to use my USB drive with Knoppix?

Thanks again

1) is it possible to share files between the two os's, e.g. save a file using Knoppix and be able to access the same file when in windows?
    install fs-driver in Windows. it will mount Linux partitions and assign driver letter to those. i suggest you not to edit or delete any file in Linux Partition from Windows.
    2) Do i have to do anything in particular to be able to use my USB drive with Knoppix?
    isn't Knoppix detecting USB drive on plugging it in?

Well the USB icon appears on the desktop but when I click on it it says that it can't read it, I can tell you the exact message but it will have to be later

Also will fs-driver allow me to access my 'windows files' e.g. my documents, in Knoppix?

Also will fs-driver allow me to access my 'windows files' e.g. my documents, in Knoppix?
    No. you have to mount WIndows Partitions in Knoppix.
    post the output of 'df -h' here.