Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm trying to configure some things through administrator mode, but when I click on administrator mode it doesn't even ask me for my root password it just comes up with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Administrator Mode

I'm trying to configure some things through administrator mode, but when I click on administrator mode it doesn't even ask me for my root password it just comes up with 'su returned with an error' any ideas as to what i'm doing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Olicommunist View Post
    I'm trying to configure some things through administrator mode, but when I click on administrator mode it doesn't even ask me for my root password it just comes up with 'su returned with an error' any ideas as to what i'm doing wrong?
    What do you mean "configure some things"?
    If you really want help then you have to be a bit more specicfic, we can't help with such a blank canvas
    free/libre/open software for the people by the people
    Linux user #185360

Just Joined!
    I know this thread is old, but just incase somebody comes back by here with a similer question.

If your runing the Live CD session of Knoppix, root has no password. so when you click GUI Administrator buttons, such as the ones in KDE control center, they won't work.

Ether, find another way via command line to do the job, using SU. Or there is a menu listing for adding/changing root password. Frist use this each session, then your administrator buttons will ask for said password and pass you on into the service.