Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok. I'm new to Linux. I hope this is the right forum. I installed DSL (Damn small Linux) on a really old laptop and brought it back from the dead. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

DSL (Damn Small Linux) Help!! I'm new

Ok. I'm new to Linux. I hope this is the right forum. I installed DSL (Damn small Linux) on a really old laptop and brought it back from the dead. I love it. However, when I booted the computer, it gave me 4 options (for graphics modes). I was constantly arrowing down to the 3rd options and hitting enter. I searched the internet and found a site where it told me what file to edit to change this. I can't find that site anymore but it was some menu file (if I remember correctly). Now, when I boot, I get a grub> prompt and I don't know what to do. I think I need to load the appropriate kernel using the kernel command. However, I don't know how to find out which one I was using. I tried using the CAT command to list files.. but that even appears to be not behaving correctly (I can't get it to list anything at all). I'm lost.. about to just reformat and re-install.. but I thought I would try here first. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barry16801 View Post
    Ok. I'm new to Linux. I hope this is the right forum. I installed DSL (Damn small Linux) on a really old laptop and brought it back from the dead. I love it. However, when I booted the computer, it gave me 4 options (for graphics modes). I was constantly arrowing down to the 3rd options and hitting enter. I searched the internet and found a site where it told me what file to edit to change this. I can't find that site anymore but it was some menu file (if I remember correctly). Now, when I boot, I get a grub> prompt and I don't know what to do. I think I need to load the appropriate kernel using the kernel command. However, I don't know how to find out which one I was using. I tried using the CAT command to list files.. but that even appears to be not behaving correctly (I can't get it to list anything at all). I'm lost.. about to just reformat and re-install.. but I thought I would try here first. Thanks
    First off, DSLinux is a branch from the tree called Debian. However, DSLinux is the apple who decided to walk far from the apple tree and do its own thing. In other words, its like Knoppix's brother. But it is not Knoppix, so you did place this thread in the wrong forum board, which is currently the Knoppix Help Forum.

Now, you have to give more detail about the boot option you used. Also, DSLinux tends to do all of the loading; therefore, you don't really need to do anything.

It would be helpful for you to give the specifics and details about this old computer you are using. To know what you hope to accomplish with DSLinux would be helpful, too.

I could not understand what you were communicating: Are you using a Live-CD or trying to do a harddrive installation?

Just Joined!
    First off, DSLinux is a branch from the tree called Debian. However, DSLinux is the apple who decided to walk far from the apple tree and do its own thing. In other words, its like Knoppix's brother. But it is not Knoppix, so you did place this thread in the wrong forum board, which is currently the Knoppix Help Forum.
    You mostly right, but being mostly right doesn't mean it's not missleading.

Frist off, DSL (on live CD) uses the knoppix technoligy, which basicly means that the Live enviroment questions relate very much to knoppix, So knoppix hands can answers such questions since I don't see and DSL thread on this forum. Most knoppix hacks work with DSL, the key word here is most.

Second, DSL can be installed to the HD debian style, after which you run through some other steps and it becomes basicly Debian, not far from the tree. After which you could get most questions answered from a debian thread.

I think the developers made a rather unique branch for DSL, they branched off Knoppix and Debian proper both at the same time.

The part about falling far from the tree, is quit right when you start doing some of DSLs exotic installs, such as frugal HD/Pendrive installs. It falls far from ether Knoppix or Debian and stands alone as DSL.