Find the answer to your Linux question:
I'm using dsl 3.4 on a 512 usb stick, booting from a floppy. Here are a few problems I would like resolved. I have scoured the internet and forums and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Major DSL Help!

I'm using dsl 3.4 on a 512 usb stick, booting from a floppy. Here are a few problems I would like resolved. I have scoured the internet and forums and have come up dry.

1. When I boot into dsl, when the resolution is anything but 640x480, there are no icons on the desktop. The Xvesa menu only lists this option too. VGA cheatcodes do not work. Also, the display is somewhat grainy at any resolution other than that above, and the color seem "negatized". If I were to open dillo or firefox and go to google, the blue G is red, and the colors on my desktop keep changing at random.

2. When I try to ssh into my box from the one right next to it, it asks for root password... I don't know what the root password is and dont know how to set it, other than I guess deleting the hash in the shadow file and rebooting with restore. I also would like to create an account with my name instead of "dsl" and have it ask for a password when I try to login.

Please Help to the best of your ability!

Linux Newbie
    I can only help in 2nd problem.

sudo su will give you root acess and then you issue
    passwd command to set new root password.

Now use this password to ssh into DSL.

I have done this with windows as host and DSL as guest os in vmware

You should get bigger distro if you want multiple users. DSL may not be good for that.

Just Joined!
    well, i like the ability to boot from a usb stick. I guess I could go with full blown knoppix..... dunno. Thanx for the reply. As far as the display question goes, i think all I have to do is find a drive for this computer and put it on my stick. (I use the computers at my college.)