Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have just upgraded my dell inspirion 2500 (just the hardrive and replaced cd) and I don't know which distro to put on it. I don't want to do anything ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Dell

I have just upgraded my dell inspirion 2500 (just the hardrive and replaced cd) and I don't know which distro to put on it. I don't want to do anything major. I tried putting xubuntu and damn small but it didn't work out very we'll. What linux distrubution should I use?

what happened when you installed xubuntu? maybe you should start there and figure out the install problems. one thing you can do is get the alt install cd from Ubuntu and install just a command line version then install x and xfce which would give you xubuntu basically.

ps the reason i say that is there might be a problem that no distro will fix and finding the error or problem might go along way to figure out whether linux will install to it.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

Well, it all depends on what you want to do with it.

If you want a general all around system: Ubuntu or PCLinuxOS 2007
    Networking management: SuSe
    Multimedia: Mepis
    Tweaked to perfection: Gentoo or Slackware (I only recommend these if you have a good bit of nix knowledge)

Hope that helps!

oz
    forum.guy
    Take a look at this thread for "which distro?".

Once you decide on one or more, don't hesitate to post back with any questions.
    oz