Find the answer to your Linux question:
i installed gentoo, and tried to boot, and it would not detect my pcmcia nic (3CXFE575CT), even though every other distro i've tried (slack, debian, suse, fedora, mandrake) detected it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

wtf? gentoo not detecting pcmcia nic!

i installed gentoo, and tried to boot, and it would not detect my pcmcia nic (3CXFE575CT), even though every other distro i've tried (slack, debian, suse, fedora, mandrake) detected it just fine, and i know it still works, because i'm in windows right now and i'm connected to this site lol... but i just wanted to try gentoo, and it's really pissed me off that every other distro has worked, and this not... i guess i'll just stick with slack10...

Are you sure pcima support is compiled in to the kernel? (I usually skip that when I'm building my kernels - as I don't have pcima)
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Just Joined!
    i made sure to install pcmcia support into the kernel, as well as make pcmcia-cs start up on startup

ok, maybe it's the "user-land" tools you need, is there some pcima stuff you can emerge?
    Regards Scienitca (registered user #335819 - http://counter.li.org )
    --
    A master is nothing more than a student who knows something of which he can teach to other students.

Ok over and above the pcmcia drivers do you have the driver/module for the nic installed/loaded?
    Also you might need to add yenta socket support (CardBus Yenta-compatable birdge surport)in the kernel to make the pcmcia work.
    To trouble shoot this use a Knoppix cd or if you have another distro installed then do a lsmod
    Code:
    lsmod
    to see what modules are loaded that make it work.
    Alos do dmesg in a working distro to see what is installed in the kernel as far as drivers in a working distro
    Code:
    dmesg |less
    then scroll down with the arrow keys.
    in one of the distro's that it works in and simply install thoes or make them as modules and then the pcmcia will work also dont forget the hotplugging support
    And in the 2.6.x kernel you do not need pcmcia-cs
    So what kernel are u running when in gentoo?
    When i did it it took a week to get it to work...and when i compiled in the yenta socket support in the pcmcia nic just worked
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!
    lofty, i'm running the latest development-sources kernel. knoppix says that the module is 3c575_cb, and i've tried all that i could to load it, but still nothing.