Find the answer to your Linux question:
I created this thread because I think I'm having some fairly unique problems compared to the older dv laptops. I have a dv6636nr that I'm looking to buy, so I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Linux on HP dv6636nr

I created this thread because I think I'm having some fairly unique problems compared to the older dv laptops. I have a dv6636nr that I'm looking to buy, so I downloaded and burned the latest Ubuntu 7.04 cd and tried it out. No matter what I do I cannot get X to start from the boot cd. I forgot to write down the error I'm getting though.

I've tried booting with noapic, noapi, acpi=off, noapci, noirqpoll, nosmp, and a combination of a few of them mixed together and all of them together.

Here is a link to the specs on HP's site.

If a guru here can tell me that this will for sure work and I just need to install with an alternace cd that has no gui, then I'm going to buy it. I'm not worried about using command line to get things done. It just worries me when it doesn't start with the default settings.

If I get all this working I'll be sure to post exactly how I did it.

Thanks.
    Two levels higher than a newb.
    (I can search google)

I feel a little embarrassed now. I checked nvidia's supported products list today and I didn't see the GeForce Go 7150 anywhere on it. I'm really want this laptop though... Anybody know how long it will take for nvidia to get linux support for it?
    Two levels higher than a newb.
    (I can search google)