Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello all. I recently purchased a Gateway ML6720. Its a fairly new model and I have been unable to find much in the way of information on it as it ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Gateway ML6720

Hello all. I recently purchased a Gateway ML6720. Its a fairly new model and I have been unable to find much in the way of information on it as it pertains to Linux. I tried the Linux On Laptops page and several Google searches. Anyone out there using one of these fairly successful with Linux?

When I first got it I tried Ubuntu. It wouldn't even start to load it. Decided to try PC LinuxOS because I had heard good things about it. Trying to partition the drive hosed my vista so I had to reload it. It wasn't a big deal as the machine is brand new however finding some of the gateway drivers is a LOT harder then it needs to be. The live version of PCL07 did load however so I am thinking that might be my best shot. The partitioning problem might just have been a fluke. Any have any adivie?

Thanks!

oz
    forum.guy
    I've never owned a lappy myself, but some owners report having success installing Linux by using acpi=off at initial boot of the installation CD. Maybe some of the others here can provide other things you might want to try.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Ubuntu 7.10 runs on the ML6720 great, other than the display and wireless network.

Wireless obviously has issues, I won't get into that...

The display is off though. The LCD will display in 1280x800, however the actual desktop runs at 1024x768, leaving a border of wallpaper on the right and bottom of the desktop. You can move non-maximized apps into this border area and they display correctly, it's just the size of the desktop that seems to be the problem.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    It looks like it has intel's graphics card so... the graphics should work fine on it. I can't find any info on the wireless card though.
    Two levels higher than a newb.
    (I can search google)

Just Joined!

Smile Nothing Yet

I also have this laptop, I find it wonderful for the price. I have Suse 10.3 installed and it works great, kinda. No drivers are available yet for the wireless card. But if this helps it is listed as a USB wireless card. Try realtek.com.tw I have not looked there yet as my hard drive died and needs to be replaced. The video is also sketchy. I will need to research the drivers more but I believe they are out there. Also Ubuntu will not load. But, if it is any consolation, I have an old version and need to get the new one. But Suse is way better. Try it a Novell.com It is free for the enterprise desktop edition. I have used suse for 5 years and have loved it for stability and compatibility. Suse has always ran like a champ for me. Also go for the 2GB memory upgrade. Cost me about 43.00 for 2 1GB chips.

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

For the wireless driver I went straight to realtek and they sent me an official driver for It.