Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I'm going to be learning and using Linux for the first time very soon, and I will be getting a new laptop as the base for my Linux learning and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Buying a New Laptop - Opinions and Advice Needed

I'm going to be learning and using Linux for the first time very soon, and I will be getting a new laptop as the base for my Linux learning and usage. I plan on using Frugalware Linux with the KDE DE.

There are two laptop GPUs that I'm interested in, the ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600, and the NVIDIA 8600M GT.

I noticed a guide on the forum here for installing 3D drivers for NVIDIA GPUs, is there such a thing for ATI GPUs? I would like to do some 3D gaming from time to time using Linux if at all possible.

I've read that ATI has recently made a solid commitment to the development and release of Linux/Open source drivers for their GPUs. Do you think I will be able to get 3D drivers for the ATI Mobility HD 2600, or would I still be better off with the NVIDIA 8600M GT?

The laptop I'm most interested it the Asus F3SA-A1. Do you think this will make for a good Linux based system?

Here's a link to the specifications for the Asus F3SA-A1.

Hi,
    I'm also planning a new laptop for linux.
    I decided it will be acer aspire 4130...first i was think about 3680..as i didn't get that laptop from dealers.4130 looks good for me.
    First they ignore you,Then they laugh at you,Then they fight with you,Then you win. - M.K.Gandhi
    -----
    FOSS India Award winning ext3fs Undelete tool www.giis.co.in. Online Linux Terminal http://www.webminal.org

Both of those graphics cards are supported under linux. However I'm not sure which is better.

By looking at the laptop I'm a little surprised. It only has 1 gig of memory in it? Figure in another $50 to $100 if you want another gig.
    Two levels higher than a newb.
    (I can search google)

I think you'd have a little better luck with Intel components but if you're dead set on getting one of those two graphics cards then go for it. The nVidia one would probably be supported a little better than the ATI one.

I can't say whether this will work for you, but if I were looking to buy a new laptop for Linux, I'd take a look at Dell's Inspirons that come with Ubuntu. They don't have great graphics cards (integrated Intel) but the hardware is guaranteed to work with Linux. Worth considering at least.

Here's an Ars Technica review on one of them:

Penguin on an Inspiron: a review of the Dell Inspiron 1420n with Ubuntu: Page 1
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I run intel graphics specifically because the proprietary drivers tend to break suspend/hibernate. I am 100% up and running on an Inspiron 6400. I would have said avoid ATI before but with current proprietary drivers being quite good and the hope that the recent release of specs by AMD/ATI the open source driver will only be getting better. The latest ATI proprietary driver now supports AIGLX so nVidia and ATI are neck and neck today.

Just Joined!
    I do plan on adding a 2 GB stick of RAM as soon as I get the laptop, for a total of 3 GBs.

I plan on starting out with Frugalware Linux and the KDE DE.

I was considering the Intel IGP x3100, but because I enjoy 3D gaming and dev on occasion, I knew I needed a more powerful and dedicated GPU, so that's why I settled on either the ATI M HD 2600 or the NVIDIA 8600M GT.

I feel pretty confident the way things are heading with ATI/AMD right now, and the awesome Linux development going on in every area of dev. I think I will be OK in any event.

I really would like to be able to do my 3D gaming and dev in Linux rather than booting into M$ Windoze if at all possible.

On a personal note:
    The more I'm learning about Linux, the Linux community, and the amazing work of the Linux dev community in particular, the more exited I'm getting about switching to Linux. It really is a different world, and a much better one IMO. I love freedom and independence, and I feel that more than anything else, this is what Linux truly represents in the tech world.

I'm very impressed with this forum in particular. I've searched around a bit, and I haven't found one that is more kind, considerate, personable, friendly to newbies, and helpful than this forum, and I'd like to thank the members and mods for this. It's great to get a response to a thread so quickly, and more than one! I've seen other forums where getting a response can take days, weeks, or may never come at all. Be prepared, as I'm sure that I'll have a lot more questions once I actually get started with Linux than I do right now!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Navras View Post
    Yeah, rather than create a fresh topic, I suppose I may as well cram it in here.
    You should have started a new thread instead of "hijacking" this one. Please request no further response here, and start a new thread.

Quote Originally Posted by linx4life View Post
    You should have started a new thread instead of "hijacking" this one. Please request no further response here, and start a new thread.
    Fixed it for you. The new thread for that discussion is now located here:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...top-vista.html
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thank you very much techieMoe; I'm still hoping for more responses to my original post.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast