Find the answer to your Linux question:
Yeah, rather than create a fresh topic, I suppose I may as well cram it in here. This may seem like a stupid thing to ask, but I figured it's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Fujitsu Siemens Laptop with Vista

Yeah, rather than create a fresh topic, I suppose I may as well cram it in here. This may seem like a stupid thing to ask, but I figured it's better to ask stupid questions than to make stupid mistakes.

Basically, I'm picking up a cheap and cheerful laptop for just the odd bit of use when the desktop PC is in use. And I thought considering I want to run Linux perminantly when I have my own PC (My family use the desktop PC, so I kept it to Windows) I thought I may as well use this cheap laptop as my first proper Linux platform under the basis that if anything goes wrong, it's no big deal.

I've heard alot of people say that installing linux for the first time on a laptop isn't the best idea, but I figured I might as well do it anyway.

The laptop is a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo LI1705 1G (told you it was cheap ) and comes with Vista installed. My main questions, basically are:

1. Will the laptop be able to run Linux?
    2. How will I go about scrapping Vista completely and installing Linux?
    3. Any recommendations for a good distribution? I have used a few Live CDs of Debian and Ubuntu so I'm not totally new, but I'm not that keen on Ubuntu. I was thinking OpenSuSE or Knoppix.

Thanks in advance, Navras

Can you post the specs or a link to the specs of the laptop? Honestly I can't guarentee anything, but if all the hardware looks okay in the specs chances are it will run fine.

Also, as soon as you get the laptop create the recovery disks for it. Do this just in case Linux can't run on it and you trash vista entirely. This way you can throw vista back on it if you need to.
    Two levels higher than a newb.
    (I can search google)

Just Joined!
    Yeah sure:

Buy FUJITSU SIEMENS AMILO LI1705 1G | 15" widescreen laptop - Specification | Comet

Coming to think about it, it doesn't look too promising but I might just have the wrong idea.

I sent you a pm because of the other thread, but I'll post what I wrote here too...

I don't like the notebook. Not only for Linux, but in general. After looking at the specs on it and looking up some information, it's horrible.

The specs don't even post what kind of wireless card it has. So if it will work with linux, or work at all, is a toss up.

The graphics card it has is down right horrible. I've never heard of the company before, nor can I find their website. However a benchmark I found rated it at half the capacity of Intel's 950 onboard card.

Sorry I just tore that sucker a new one, and I can't even make a suggestion for a different laptop in the same price range because I don't know what's available to you guys in the UK.
    Two levels higher than a newb.
    (I can search google)