Find the answer to your Linux question:
So I was looking at these tablet PCs. The technology is interesting, I like their compact side, and they look cool. That and I think it may make my life ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Tablet PC and Linux - Good idea?

So I was looking at these tablet PCs. The technology is interesting, I like their compact side, and they look cool. That and I think it may make my life easier when I either want to do surveys, take notes, or just watch a movie.

Now I know that all that jazz works under Windows, how about Linux? Is it just a plain bad idea to get a Tablet and try to install Linux. I am not talking about any particular brand (though I have been checking out the HP tx1000z, Fujitsu Lifebook T4220, and the Lenovo x61t) I am just wondering if Linux on a tablet is a good idea in general.

I mean if you can't use the touchscreen, write notes, or take full advantage of the tablet, or if a tablet is just more trouble than it's worth, then I won't get one. Currently I am using both Ubuntu 7.10 and openSuSE 10.3 to give you a linux idea.

So Tablet PC with Linux, good idea or bad one? Thanks.

Wacom touch devices are supported well, power management and suspend/resume are pretty good these days especially while using Intel chipsets. I think it would work pretty well. And with Multi-Pointer X on the way....

Just Joined!
    dumb dumb question, i have heard wacom a lot, what is it exactly? do products say that they are Wacom or are most all tablets on the market wacom already?

It's just the brand, so I would imagine that much like WiFi chipsets it would probably be a mystery unfortunately. I'm sure though if you were to dig deep into the documentation or google a model and find out for sure.

Just Joined!
    Cool, well I hope other brands besides Wacom works.