Find the answer to your Linux question:
I know there is a lot of compatibility problems with linux and ATI, but i never encountered a problem before where the OS will not start at all. It seems ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Brand new HP wont run linux distros

I know there is a lot of compatibility problems with linux and ATI, but i never encountered a problem before where the OS will not start at all. It seems whenever i try to use a live CD from a linux right when it gets to the part of loading the GUI, it fails. Here is some information about my system hopefully it will help.

Thanks, if you need any other information, il be more and happy to supply it.

Jeff

Banned

Setting the booting sequence in BIOS

Hello, and thank you, for your information (I think, the specs are not so relevant, though...).

Ok:

You have to do a few configuration in your BIOS (F12, etc., during start up):

That is:

(Boot, or similar)

"Boot from CD".

And:

"1. Boot from CD" (putting this on the top of the list).

Save changes with F10.

This should do the trick.

Kind regards,
    Alexander

Lordshooter,
    Thanks for the quick response, but i don't believe i explained myself thoroughly what my real problem is. My laptop dosnt have problems detecting the live CD and booting to it, it just dosnt want to load the GUI. For example: I tried to use a live distro from the latest Backtrack 2 and after i log in and it asks you to either choose commands startx, ati, flux, none of them work. I get this error

(EE) VESA(0): No Matching modes
    (EE) Screens(s) found, but none have usable configuration.

Fatal server error:
    No screens found

and then I receive the same error trying flux and ati commands. This CD works fine on my desktop and a friends laptop. The config file is /ect/X11/xorg.conf

I also tried booting the new linux OS that comes with the new everex computer at walmart "gOS" the same problem happens is when i gos to load the GUI it fails.

I hope this information helps with the solution Thanks for the help Lordshooter and i hope you have the answer.

Jeff

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux is not configuring your Graphics Card properly. You can try configuring it manually but it doesn't work sometimes. Its easy to fix after Linux Installation though. You can use Text based installer to install Linux.
    Whenever screen goes blank, press Alt+Ctrl+F1. It will drop you at command line prompt.
    You have to execute a few commands to configure Graphics Card ( X Server ). Commands are different for different distros.
    For Debian based distros:
    Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
    For RedHat based distros:
    Code:
    system-config-display
    Which distro's LiveCD are you using?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Thanks devils_casper,

Is it possible editing through a live CD? I'm currently using Backtrack 2 based from Slackware, but not SLAX as such. I dont have a back up installation CD of Windows Vista that i received with other computers. Instead it made a recovery partition that really making me think twice about installing a dual boot.

Jeff

Is it possible editing through a live CD? I'm currently using Backtrack 2 based from Slackware, but not SLAX as such.
    Graphics ( X Server ) is controlled by /etc/X11/xorg.conf file. You can edit it in LiveCD but all changes will be lost on shutdown.
    Press Alt+Ctrl+F1 and execute this
    Code:
    nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Set Driver "vesa" in Section VideoCard. Save file and restart X Server.
    Code:
    /etc/init.d/gdm stop
    /etc/init.d/gdm start
    Press Alt+Ctrl+F7 to switch back to GUI.

Its pretty easy to setup dual boot and in case, if anything goes wrong, you can fix Vista without its Backup/Installation CD.
    Just create free space using Vista Partitioning Tool and install Linux in free space only. Installer of all Linux Distros setup dual boot by default.

devils_casper,

Hey thanks for the time your putting into helping me learn how to do this. I promise i will eventually use the knowledge that i learn from you to help others eventually. So far i believe that im on the right track, but when i open the xorg.conf folder, it seems empty. I might be making a mistake, but i provided a digital picture of what i came across.

I hope this helps.

Jeff

Picture is not clear. Execute this
    Code:
    ls /etc/X11
    Post output here. Its Capital X in X11.

Ok, It was a spelling error on my part :S. Linux is such a learning curve... Anyways I am able to access the xorg.conf file, but im not sure on what i need to edit to get it working correctly. Heres some of the info from the xorg.conf file you may or may not need.
    Code:
    Section "Screen"

Identifier "Screen1"
    Device "VESA Framebuffer"
    Monitor "My Monitor

# If your card cant handle it, a higher by default color depth (like 24 or 32)
    # is highly recommended

# DefaultDepth 8
    # DefaultDepth 16
    DefaultDepth 24
    #DefaultDepth 32

# "1024x768" is also a conservative usable default resolution. If you
    # have a better monitor, feel free to try resolutions such as
    # "1152x864", "1280x1024", "1600x1200", and "1800x1400" (or whatever your card/monitor can produce)

Subsection "Display"
    Depth 8
    Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
    EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
    Depth 16
    EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"
    Depth 24
    EndSubsection