Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, linux eperience so far = loading up one ubuntu live disc for 5 minutes, haha so I probs should have posted in the newbie forum, but I think this ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Maximising battery

Hey, linux eperience so far = loading up one ubuntu live disc for 5 minutes, haha so I probs should have posted in the newbie forum, but I think this quesiton applies more to this section.

I just bought a Toshiba satellite pro A200 laptop running windows Vista. Its not bad, im pretty happy with it, I dont really wish to run linux as my main poerating system. However my battery, even with screen dimmed, low performance and aero turned off lasts only about 2 hours.

I was wondering if there is any stripped down linux OS out there which is veryy small and i can just partition a tiny area of my HD to run it from. All I need is something that will run a couple of programs like a word processor. Im guessing if it was running in a low graphic os with none of the background services, functions, apps, settings, desktops, everything etc then battery could last much longer. Like all it wouldnt need any of the normal apps or functions, like games and media player.

If this is a possible scenario then it would be very handy for times when im in the car using my laptop, or uni, just when i need to word process.

Also would there be a way you could get the screen to display a lot smaller then the actual physical laptop screen, wouldnt that significantly reduce power consumption?

As I said, I dont know if any of this is possible, so if someone could help me out that would be awesome.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Adondai View Post
    I was wondering if there is any stripped down linux OS out there which is veryy small and i can just partition a tiny area of my HD to run it from.
    Welcome to the forums!

Damn Small Linux (DSL) is pretty small, and so is Puppy Linux, but they might be too small for you. You can get info on them at DistroWatch.
    oz