Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone!! I wondered if you could help me with a difficulty that I'm having installing Ubuntu on my laptop. trying to boot from the CD, it just suddenly freezes ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ubuntu Won't run on my GatewayML3108b laptop

Hi everyone!!

I wondered if you could help me with a difficulty that I'm having installing Ubuntu on my laptop. trying to boot from the CD, it just suddenly freezes on the bootup, the orange bar thingy stops moving backwards and forwards, the CD drive stops, and however long I leave it like that it doesn't do anything more. I know that the CD is ok, because I have had ubuntu installed onto another PC, which worked fine. I would appreciate any help anyone can give me on this, because I specifically bought this laptop to run ubuntu.

Many Thanks

Stuart

oz
    forum.guy
    If you are sure the CD is good, the only thing I know to suggest would be to experiment with some of the kernel options that are available to you through the F-keys right before the CD begins to boot into the Linux system.

Another option that might make a difference would be to try the "alternate CD" that's available from the Ubuntu downloads page. It uses a text installer rather than the GUI installer and it is not a liveCD. It worked for me where the GUI installer would not.
    oz

Just Joined!
    thankyou very much, I'll try that @ some point and let u know how I get on. By the way, if I installed using the text installer, would that then allow me to run the GUI?

Stuart

oz
    forum.guy
    Yes, the end result is the same system. It's just the manner in which the system is installed.
    oz

Just Joined!
    I would also like to ask another question, why would the GUI based installer not work, when it's a brand new laptop? If the text-based installer works, is there any guarantee that the GUI will boot?

Stuart

P.S. Sorry for being a pain., that may seem like a silly question but I'm what you might call a linux n00b. I consider myself very experienced in using windows (and DOS for that matter!), but when it comes to linux, I'm afraid I'm only a novice.

thanks once again

Just Joined!
    I have the exact same problem, it's as if the laptop is programmed for Windows and won't let Linux work.

The orange bar froze during boot from an installation CD over and over again and it wouldn't even recognise the boot files from CDs of other Distros.

I have since used wubi to install Ubuntu, though now the orange bar freezes as it boots up.

Seems hopeless.