Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently purchased an HP/Compaq 6510b notebook running windows xp pro. and would like to run Linux instead. However, the video card makes it impossible for me to run 3-D ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Which Linux distro for my HP 6510b ??

I recently purchased an HP/Compaq 6510b notebook running windows xp pro.
    and would like to run Linux instead. However, the video card makes it impossible for me to run 3-D graphics (Mobile Intel graphics media accelerator X3100)

Any suggestions???

Hiya neumdogy,
    According to this Link, your X3100 is supported by the Intel 965 driver, which is supported by xorg, so I don't think you should have any problem. Just about any version of Linux will support this Chipset.
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 - ThinkWiki
    I do not respond to private messages asking for Linux help, Please keep it on the forums only.
    All new users please read this.** Forum FAQS. ** Adopt an unanswered post.

I'd rather be lost at the lake than found at home.

Just Joined!
    Hi, I'm using Compaq Presario V3000 which used the same graphic accelerator with the one you using. I've tried several distro, non of them work perfectly... i'm still finding way to configure the sound, graphic and Wifi.. how's your progress??

Quote Originally Posted by neumdogy View Post
    I recently purchased an HP/Compaq 6510b notebook running windows xp pro.
    and would like to run Linux instead. However, the video card makes it impossible for me to run 3-D graphics (Mobile Intel graphics media accelerator X3100)

Any suggestions???

Just Joined!
    Hi. I have 6510b also. I made bootable USB with BackTrack 3.0 and most works out of the box: audio, wireless, lan, video - didn't try any games yet though. Also don't know how to activate function button so I could change screen brightness; and quick lunch buttons mostly for sound control. I guess there is some software way for brightness but am noobie and don't have much time googling..

I would have a question too. Coz I bought brand new laptop of ebay. It came with Vista Business - first activation I could choose to install 32 or 64bit. It used two CDs it came with: "Application and Driver Recovery DVD" and "Operating System CD, XP Prof w/ SP2". Now I am confused... does it mean I have XP Prof too???
    Bottom of laptop sticker says Vista Business OEMAct.
    Also it installed with Office Word, Exel, PP.. but ask for activation 25char code - the one from the sticker doesn't work, but I didn't see anything else in the box. Any ideas how to activate them??