Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hello, I am a linux newbie. I wanted to switch to linux because I was so tired of using XP, and vista seemed to be a resourse hogging spying craphouse. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Laptop gets so hot. Why?

Hello, I am a linux newbie. I wanted to switch to linux because I was so tired of using XP, and vista seemed to be a resourse hogging spying craphouse. After using an Ubuntu 7.1 liveCD, I knew I pretty much wanted to switch operating systems.

My laptop is an IBM t40. It has a 1.5Ghz PentiumM, 512 megs of ram, and an ati radeon 7500 video card. In XP, this is such a cool running laptop- I could sit it in my lap, surf the web, listen to music, and the bottom would never get hot. Only on a hot day, on my lap, and doing everything would it get luke-warm, and the fan would come on for a few minutes to cool it down.

Linux installation on the other hand, make my system burning hot. I'll have it sitting on a desk, not using it at all(just the desktop running), and after about 10 minutes, the bottom will be hot to touch, until the fan comes on and usually doesn't stop for a good 20 minutes. Even after the fan stops, it comes on after another five minutes because the T40 gets hot again.

It's the same symptom on all the distros I've tried. I've tried opensuse 10.3, Ubuntu 6.06 7.04 7.10, Xubuntu 7.10, and Fedora Core 8. All the same problem. I have been searching ibm forums and google for any fixes for this, but it doesn't even seem like any other t40 owners have the problem. I also checked if it was speedstepping, and it was. I even changed 'ondemand' to user specified, at a constant 600mhz, but still hot.

I would love to use linux(even without the desktop effects), but this thing seems only optimized for windows xp. Does anyone have a fix, or better yet, a simple answer whether the ibm t40 was meant to step outside the xp pro boundary? I would love this laptop to run fedora even cooler then xp.

Thanks!

Just Joined!
    I have noticed an overheating issue on two laptops running Fedora and Suse. The first being an HP and the second being a T43 (which is essentially a t40, trust me I've torn apart these laptops for a living.) and the only way I ever got around overheating was to shut off and start up the laptop again.

I don't know why they've overheated, I've had various other makes of laptops (Acer, Toshiba, Asus) not overheat in the slightest with various distros, so my solution is pretty crappy but it's all that I've found to help.

Just Joined!

hi

Thanks for your reply. I've installed so many distros already, always going back to a nearly 2 hour reinstall of windows xp.

It really doesn't make sense to me. What I've been reading is most linux distros take a lot less resources to run than xp(especially Xubuntu), so I really couldn't imagine what is possibly making the laptop run so hot. My only idea left is the lack of ATI support might be taxing the video adapter(maybe...?). I'd love to try setting the driver to vesa on another fedora install, but am not too keen on another looooong xp install if it doesn't work. Seems obvious it's a hardware compatibility issue with linux, but this really seems to be coming to a "deal with it or get rid of it" issue rather than a "find out what, and fix it" issue.

Thanks again for your reply!

You can dual boot and its default in all distros. Installer will setup Dual boot itself. Only 6-10GB free disk space is required.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    huh? I don't understand

You can install Linux along with Windows OS and you will have choice to boot up either OS at startup. There no need to remove Windows OS. Keep both OSes in your HD and use whatever you like. Linux needs 6-10GB disk space only. I have Windows XP + 6 Linux distros in my test machine.

Just Joined!
    Oh I see, thank you for your reply.

The thing is, whether I choose to dual boot or simply use linux, my problem is that the laptop overheats in linux. Simply leaving it on the desktop doing absolutely nothing gets the laptop hot, as if I'm playing a video game(a big no no for most laptops).

Actually, I'm going to try messing with the driver to see if that helps the ibm t4x issues today.

Ok ! Which Graphics Driver are you using? Have you tried vesa driver?

Just out of curiosity when you feel your laptop hot open a terminal and type
    Code:
    acpi -t
    This is the cpu temperature. post the output here
    Linux is like a Teepee, No Windows, No Gates, Only Apache Inside!
    Arch Linux
    Linux user #442041

Just Joined!
    casper, after switching to the vesa driver, I found that the laptop cooled down quite a bit. It seems to me that the driver support for my video chipset must be what's causing this. Unfortunately, I went to the ati website, and linux drivers are only supported from the radeon 8200 and up, whereas my card is a 7500. I don't really wand to settle with the idea that I'm crap out of luck just yet, are there any third party drivers for my adapter floating around?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast