Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone, this is my first time here. I recently got into Linux and after running Ubuntu I was a little disappointed. So I tried Puppy, and boy was I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Unhappy Puppy Linux on Laptop - trackpad issues.

Hi everyone, this is my first time here.

I recently got into Linux and after running Ubuntu I was a little disappointed. So I tried Puppy, and boy was I pleased with it. Everything runs great, I installed it to the hard drive (required a bit of tweaking and GRUB didn't want to co-operate, but I got it eventually) and all is dandy... except for one thing.

The trackpad is EXTREMELY sensitive. Not in movement, but whenever I move the pointer, lift my finger, place back on the trackpad, and go to move again, the computer is acting like I tapped the trackpad. The result is all kinds of things popping up, buttons being pressed, items being moved - when all I am doing is navigating normally. It's becoming rather frustrating and if I could just lessen the sensitivity (or turn off trackpad tapping altogether) I'd be very pleased.

I can handle the terminal, I can handle editing files, I can handle pretty much anything as long as clear instructions are given.

The Distribution of Puppy is the 2.16 version with Seamonkey and Drivers. It IS installed onto the hard drive under an EXT3 partition. The laptop is a Medion MIM2080 (love this thing) with, I believe, a Synaptics Trackpad device.

This problem does not happen in Windows, nor in Ubuntu.

Cheers for any help.

This page will possibly help you. Seems other people also have the same problem!

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by meisinscotland View Post
    Hi everyone, this is my first time here.

I recently got into Linux and after running Ubuntu I was a little disappointed. So I tried Puppy, and boy was I pleased with it. Everything runs great, I installed it to the hard drive (required a bit of tweaking and GRUB didn't want to co-operate, but I got it eventually) and all is dandy... except for one thing.

The trackpad is EXTREMELY sensitive. Not in movement, but whenever I move the pointer, lift my finger, place back on the trackpad, and go to move again, the computer is acting like I tapped the trackpad. The result is all kinds of things popping up, buttons being pressed, items being moved - when all I am doing is navigating normally. It's becoming rather frustrating and if I could just lessen the sensitivity (or turn off trackpad tapping altogether) I'd be very pleased.

I can handle the terminal, I can handle editing files, I can handle pretty much anything as long as clear instructions are given.

The Distribution of Puppy is the 2.16 version with Seamonkey and Drivers. It IS installed onto the hard drive under an EXT3 partition. The laptop is a Medion MIM2080 (love this thing) with, I believe, a Synaptics Trackpad device.

This problem does not happen in Windows, nor in Ubuntu.

Cheers for any help.
    hi, i have a medion mim2080 aswell, and have tried to install so many different flavours on linux on it i've lost count. my problem is the usb cuts out halfway through installation, and since the disk drive is usb, it crashes the whole install, so i try installing over the net using network boot, but once linux is installed, i dont have any usb functionality whatsoever. did you have any of these problems installing puppy linux? if not then i will give it a go! i would love to have linux on my laptop!!
    ps do all the usb ports work ok with puppy linux on the mim2080?

many thanks.