Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been using Linux for a while and I really like it. Anyway, I have a laptop (an older thinkpad model) that has some bad RAM (about 30MB of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux on laptop with bad RAM?

I have been using Linux for a while and I really like it. Anyway, I have a laptop (an older thinkpad model) that has some bad RAM (about 30MB of RAM is bad.) Is there a Linux distro that will work on it? (I've tried Ubuntu 7.04, Xubuntu 7.10, PCLinuxOS Gnome, Mandriva 2008, and Shift and none of them worked.) Thanks!

oz
    forum.guy
    I would imagine that all distros will complain about the bad memory, but the good thing about Linux is that you can try most distros for free just to see what happens.

Good luck with your efforts.
    oz

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Wouldn't it be better to get new ram? RAM for laptops seems to be pretty cheap these days.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    I would imagine that all distros will complain about the bad memory, but the good thing about Linux is that you can try most distros for free just to see what happens.

Good luck with your efforts.
    True. Thanks!

Wouldn't it be better to get new ram? RAM for laptops seems to be pretty cheap these days.
    It would be, but the RAM is embedded in the motherboard, not to mention it's old hard to find RAM...