Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just recently bought a Uniwill AMD 64 Laptop and need to install Linux on it for scientific applications and basic word processing etc. (I will probably be dual booting ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

64bit Linux for Uniwill N258KA0 AMD 64 Laptop

I just recently bought a Uniwill AMD 64 Laptop and need to install Linux on it for scientific applications and basic word processing etc. (I will probably be dual booting with XP to cover my gaming / multimedia needs) Which version of Linux is farthest along in providing 64 bit support especially for Laptops?

Thanks,

~Lyuokdea

Just Joined!

Re: 64bit Linux for Uniwill N258KA0 AMD 64 Laptop

You may find Linux installation reports for laptops and notebooks with 64bit CPU at TuxMobil, as well as a survey of 64bit Linux distributions.

very dependant on your skill level, but if you are comfortable with it Gentoo offers the larget repository of 64 bit packages etc. Also a point to make, Linux would be far better suited to you mulitmedia needs as it can be a 64bit OS windows is still a 32bit and thus rarely sees the performace increase offered by a 64 bit processor. Multimedia can be far better in a linux enviroment. Gaming still requires a windows machine generaly, but if you have cedega, then you can get most games to run in Linux and generaly take advantage of a considerable performace increase. I try to get all my games working in linux first, if all fails, then I hope over to windows.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333