Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! I have a Acer Ferrari 3000, with and AMD Athlon XP Mobile processor. Now when I'm going to install Mandrake 10.0 the setup stucks before I reach the graphical ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    nos
    Just Joined!

Linux doesn't install

Hi!
    I have a Acer Ferrari 3000, with and AMD Athlon XP Mobile processor. Now when I'm going to install Mandrake 10.0 the setup stucks before I reach the graphical mode. I tried to enter text setup, but that didn't solve the problem.

Then I tried installing Red Hat 9.0. That didn't work either. First time (with graphics) I didn't see a thing when entering graphical setup. The next time I used text installation. But for some reason Anaconda crushed.

Do you know how to install (any) linux system to my computor?
    Greetings
    Sebastian Dahlgren

Just Joined!
    try using a live cd like knoppix first, perhaps there is a problem with the hardware detection, with a live cd you can probabely see which hardware it is and disable it in the startup of the install cd before beginning at the install, like boot: kernel noagp or something like that....

Just Joined!
    Hi Sebastian,

I got the same problems with Redhat 9.0. I also tried Suse Linux which installs quite nice. Best results I got with Gentoo Linux. I was impressed how smooth it was.

Regards Norbert

gentoo gentoo how i love thee gentoo. I could make a logical argument, but i think this sums it up

emerge gentoo
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

Linux Engineer
    i will try gentoo as soon as possible ...it is said to have not such an easy installation..i'll check this out!
    Linux For Ever!

Just Joined!

RE: Linux doesn't install "Acer Ferrari 3000"

Hey Sebastian Dahlgren,

i just read your post (just joined..so yeah its late)

I had the same problem with most Linux Distros...

use "APM=off acpi=off" on install...not sure if you need both but thats what i did.

I had the same issues with Fed. Core 1/2, Suse 9.0/9.1... its the new Kernel 2.6 i found out...or mostly the problem.

FYI Suse 9.2 finally got this fixed. I downloaded the Free DVD (not live DVD) and normal instal was fine. I am having trouble with NDIS wrapper ..and my Wireless driver though.

I hope this helps ..although i am sure you may have got the needed info by now.