Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
So I was very excited to start using linux (ubuntu 7.10) on my laptop so I wouldn't have to deal with Vista. However, school caught up with me and I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Big boo-boo deleting parition

So I was very excited to start using linux (ubuntu 7.10) on my laptop so I wouldn't have to deal with Vista. However, school caught up with me and I haven't had time to work with my linux as much as I'd like. This is where I made the most noobish mistake... I simply deleted the partition that had linux on it. So now I have GRUB trying to load up but all that happens is I get "Error 17" and all I can do is restart.

I don't have much experience with laptops. I thought maybe I could just take the drive out, set the jumpers to slave and hook it up to another computer, repartition and reinstall linux, and then go through the motions again correctly. However upon removing the drive I can't seem to find any jumpers (such as in PCs). So now what do I do?

If it's worth mentioning I have a HP Pavilion dv6000.

Any help is immensely appreciated, I need this laptop for school. I have a desktop to write papers and what not, but I take all my notes on the lappy, and I just started an Astronomy lab class where I'm the only person with a laptop, so I'll be uploading pictures to my laptop if I can get it to work.

Thanks so much for your time.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    You can use the super grub disk to remove grub. Its a very small live distro, so it won't take long to download.

Just Joined!
    So what do I do with the "boot" files? Do I put them into an .iso on a disc or flash drive and boot from it? I tried just putting the files on a flash drive and booting from it but that wasn't it.

I kinda know what I'm talking about but still rather noobish as you may be able to tell, but just point me in the right direction and I'll head on my merry way as best I can.

The easiest way is to burn the iso image to cd.

oz
    forum.guy
    Check this link for information on how to properly burn an ISO image to a CD/DVD:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/ins...ll-cd-dvd.html
    oz

Just Joined!
    Ok I'm still running into problems... though I think I may know why. I had put in my Windows CD to try and run the recovery thing, but I deleted my recovery partition so that didn't work for me.. I clicked a little faster than I read and my computer started to format the drive. I canceled after 2% but I don't know if it undid what it had started... so have I *screwed* myself over completely and will I just have to continue my format? I really really really really hope not because I have notes on that computer and it would really save my life to be able to at least get the files off that drive.

Could someone possibly tell me where to go in SuperGrub to reload the different grub into the MBR? I thought I found it but it wasn't working so maybe if someone could tell me I can see if I was doing it right. Thanks for all of your help so far.

Ok I'm still running into problems... though I think I may know why. I had put in my Windows CD to try and run the recovery thing, but I deleted my recovery partition so that didn't work for me.. I clicked a little faster than I read and my computer started to format the drive. I canceled after 2% but I don't know if it undid what it had started... so have I *screwed* myself over completely and will I just have to continue my format? I really really really really hope not because I have notes on that computer and it would really save my life to be able to at least get the files off that drive.
    I think you have messed up Partition Table. First of all, check if Partitions are intact or not. Boot up from Ubuntu CD, open Terminal and execute this
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    Post output here.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Ok here's what I got:

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x33cb3a7d

Device Boot      Start          End      Blocks    Id  System
    /dev/sda1   *           1         4179    33567786     7  HPFS/NTFS
    Last edited by enderbean; 04-10-2008 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Accidentally wrote /dev/sdal instead of /dev/sda1... I'm not entirely used to the font used.

/dev/sdal * 1 4179 33567786 7 HPFS/NTFS
    According to output of fdisk -l command, you HD has one partition only.
    Check what is in that partition.
    Exeucte this
    Code:
    mkdir sda1
    sudo mount -t ntfs /dev/sda1 sda1 -o defaults,umask=0
    cd sda1
    ls
    btw, its /dev/sda1 (one) not sdal.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Just Joined!
    Ok this is what came up, some were highlighted, I'll mark those with an asterisk in case it's important:

APPL.ZIP*
    boot*
    bootmgr
    CSPU.DAT
    DPART.TXT
    global*
    INFO.BOM
    MCPP*
    sources*
    ST_RP*
    SwSetup*
    System Recovery*
    System.sav*
    USWV32HP*
    Vista.32*
    Vista.64*
    vista.all*
    WINDOWS*

Thanks for mentioning the difference between sda1 and sdal. I noticed that's what I typed in terminal and almost ended up posting the "invalid option" and "usage" bit that it gave me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast