Find the answer to your Linux question:
I've come a long ways teaching myself Slackware from square one without having to bother the online community with newbie questions, but it's finally got me stumped on this one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Teensy Console

I've come a long ways teaching myself Slackware from square one without having to bother the online community with newbie questions, but it's finally got me stumped on this one small issue. I'm running Slack 10 with the 2.6.7 kernel on a Dell Inspiron 8100. Most of my woes stem from my ATI Mobility Radeon 7500, a horrible Linux card by all accounts. I've got it on speaking terms with X to the extent that I can run KDE at 1600x1200x24, but I've pretty much given up on direct rendering.

My current problem came when I tried out the lid button support after setting up ACPI. It didn't work, the screen just wouldn't turn back on. Not a big deal, I don't really need that feature anyway. But after rebooting, the console wasn't rendering right. It's still 1024x768 pixels (or whatever lilo.conf tells it to be) but instead of stretching to fill the screen those pixels all stay in a box in the middle of an empty 1600x1200 field, making the characters barely legible to the naked eye. This is the case right from the first stage of booting, when the annoying Dell logo pops up.

I crudely tried to make it revert by removing 1600x1200 support from xorg.conf, and even closing the lid and crashing the display again, but it's still tiny. Any ideas? I'd like to be able to use lynx without going blind.

Just Joined!
    Solved it. Embarrassingly simple, as usual. This seems to be a problem with Dell laptops; for future reference, just hit Fn+F7 to switch screen modes.

hey hey, no worries, if you want some info on getting the ATI's to support direct rendering, there was a thread on it recently that was pretty comprehensive.
    Avoid the Gates of Hell. Use Linux
    A Penny for your Thoughts

Formerly Known as qub333

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Newbie
    I have the problem with my ati graphic card on my Dell Inspiron 8000, too. I use Redhat (8.0~FC2). The official website suggests using r128 as the driver, but I never can make it working properly, not even to start the X. I have to use vesa as the graphic driver. I usually thought it might be the problem from the ati driver, but when I tried slackware 10, r128 works fine on it. So I guess maybe Redhat has modified some codes and that cause the problem.