Find the answer to your Linux question:
Well, anyway my problem is that I have been trying to check out some Distros that I got from OSDisc.com recently. I am sick of Vista hangs, freezes, and it's ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Vista Hates Me!

Well,
    anyway my problem is that I have been trying to check out some Distros that I got from OSDisc.com recently. I am sick of Vista hangs, freezes, and it's oh,-too-big brotherish-snooping on my PC.

The problem is that all the Distros can't show their full features since my laptop turns the sound off when I use the live CD's. This certainly degrades the live CD experience.

Is MS messing with me or am I paranoid?
    Is there a work - around for this problem?

My computer is an HP Pavillion, model dv 6500 running Vista Home Premium (yuck).
    Thanks

Linux Guru
    I would imagine it's just a chipset that there isn't a driver included for, or perhaps not being detected correctly.

Run the following in a terminal when running a livecd, and post the results back
    Code:
    /sbin/lspci
    /sbin/lsmod

It's possible you've got an Intel HD Audio chipset like mine. There's at least one other HP customer with sound issues in Linux. Aside from listing the output of the commands bigtom posted, I would recommend reading this page on getting that particular sound chip working:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Gutsy_Intel_HD_Audio_Controller

It's specific to Ubuntu, but you can probably do something similar on other distributions. The main point is to make sure you have the latest version of ALSA.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

I think you have the same laptop as me, and you have the same problem as me.

I found this thread quite useful.
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Reporting back as requested

Run the following in a terminal when running a livecd, and post the results back
    Code:

/sbin/lspci
    /sbin/lsmod
    bigtomrodney,

Sorry, I am a relative noob so the best I can do is attach two screen shots for the suggested commands. Hopefully they piece together with only a line or two missing. The first command returned nada, the second gave two pages of cryptic info:

Since I am on the low - end of a steep learning curve here, any suggestions for screenshooting long files without cutting them into pieces?

Thanks again,
    Attached Images Attached Images

The truth is, and maybe someone can build on this better than I can, but this is intentional. Microsoft and computer manufacturers know that more and more people are moving to Linux. Neither of them want that. So as a combined effort, Microsoft and other computer manufacturers are coming up with new drivers and new hardware that they know will hang up Linux users.

Why?? The list goes on....

1) Microsoft wants to sell their OS.

2) Manufactures don't want to put warranties on hardware that will have Linux on them. They'll spend a fortune backing them up.

3) Manufacturers gets money from other software companies to put software on their machines. Everything in Linux is open source. So Toshiba and HP can't get money from OpenOffice to include it on their systems. But they know they will get a butt load from Microsoft to put Works, Office, and/or Word Perfect on there... ect, ect.

4) Even if they were willing to put Linux OS and software on their machines, they would have to sell them for cheaper. Normally this might be ok, but if free software is going on there computers, that means updates are free. No yearly subscriptions.

5) Which leads me to my last point. Many software companies, especially internet security software companies require a yearly subscription. It's how they turn their products into leverage/exponential income; as opposed to linear. That would be done away with through Linux, which consequently, leads me back to issue #3; no money in yearly subscriptions = no companies paying manufacturers premiums to sell their machines with particular software, which = less revenue for the manufacturer.

**** Ok, Kevin, breathe... hahahaha
    Using Linux since June 2007
    Distros: Mint 12
    SPECS: AMD Atholon 64 X2 5400+, 2GB RAM, GeForce 8800 GTS
    When your whole life is on one computer, servers and all, choose stability over anything else.

Subscriptions? We don't need no stinking subscriptions!

Quote Originally Posted by SkittleLinux18 View Post

Which leads me to my last point. Many software companies, especially internet security software companies require a yearly subscription. It's how they turn their products into leverage/exponential income; as opposed to linear.
    Yes, in fact, it was buzz on the web that MS intends to modulize their OS and begin annual subscriptions that motivated me to get on the Linux train as soon as possible. I HATE to be jiggered around.

P. S. I used to live in Utah in SLC and taught at the U of U. Of course I only saw us prevail over BYU in football once - somewhere around 1980. Woot!