Find the answer to your Linux question:
Asus eeePC with default install (Xandros I think) Has anyone managed to get an SD card to mount as /home ? Steps tried so far: fdisk /dev/sdb1 mkfs.ext2 /dev/sdb1 mount ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

eeePC - SD card mounted at /home ??

Asus eeePC with default install (Xandros I think)

Has anyone managed to get an SD card to mount as /home ?

Steps tried so far:

fdisk /dev/sdb1
    mkfs.ext2 /dev/sdb1
    mount /dev/sdb1 /tmp/newhome
    cp -a /home/* /tmp/newhome
    umount /dev/sdb1
    mount /dev/sdb1 /home

edited fstab to include: /dev/sdb1 /home rw,uid=user

All that works fine for the current session, but as soon as I reboot, /home is back on the onboard storage. I can re-mount /dev/sdb1 /home and it will work again, but only until a reboot.

Any ideas how to get it to stay forever?

tnx

Nick

Just Joined!

RE: eeePC - SD card mounted at /home ??

Hi Nik

I was able to get successfully get my SD card to mount as /home on my 4G EeePC.

Here's what I did.

I started with your steps.
    fdisk /dev/sdb1
    mkfs.ext2 /dev/sdb1
    umount /dev/sdb1

Next I went to the eeeuser.com wiki
    Auto-Mount USB Storage Devices [EeeUser Eee PC Wiki]

I followed most of the steps there.

Find out the serial number of your device

1. Insert your SD card or USB thumb drive
    2. Open the terminal (Ctrl-Alt-T in Easy mode, run konsole in Advanced). All actions below are performed in a terminal window. You may note some commands end with an &. This makes them run in background, so that if you say run a GUI editor like KWrite, you can get your terminal prompt back for further commands, even with KWrite still running.
    3. Save the contents of a virtual file /proc/bus/usb/devices into a real file in your home directory

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices > /home/user/usb_devices.txt

4. Open /home/user/usb_devices.txt in an editor

kwrite /home/user/usb_devices.txt &

5. Find your device and serial number. Look for sections where the I: line ends with Driver=usb-storage, a few lines above you will find the serial number of the card reader. Some devices will also have a product name you might recognise. It is this name that prevents some of them mount properly, preventing you to access them. Look for a line with Product=USB DISK 2.0 (note this is just an example, and your name may be different or not there at all).

T: Bus=05 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=04 Cnt=02 Dev#= 2 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
    D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
    P: Vendor=0cf2 ProdID=6225 Rev= 1.00
    S: Manufacturer=ENE
    S: Product=UB6225
    S: SerialNumber=146030377350
    C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=498mA
    I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=06 Prot=50 Driver=usb-storage
    E: Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms

Configure device detection

Make note of the serial number, or just keep the file open for cut and paste.
    Edit /etc/udev/rules.d/50-xandros-udev.rules. You need to be root to do it:

sudo kwrite /etc/udev/rules.d/50-xandros-udev.rules &

Find the comment

# usb, removable storage

Immediately after this comment, so that it will replace the Asus dialog, add the following line, changing the serial number to match your device and optionally changing the name sdcard1 (in both places)

BUS=="usb", KERNEL=="sd*", SYSFS{serial}=="146030377350", NAME="sdcard1", OPTIONS+="last_rule", RUN+="/bin/mount /dev/sdcard1"

Make sure the above line is correct, especially taking care the number and placement of = signs is matching. Probably the best thing to do is to copy and paste the line above, then change sdcard1 if required.

Here's where I deviate...

I edited my fstab and added the following line.
    /dev/sdcard1 /home ext2 rw 0 0

I saved the file and rebooted..

It worked like a charm.

Good Luck
    Dean

Just Joined!
    I discovered a small bug in my previous post where if I tried to unmount another removable usb storage device that is detected as /dev/sdc1, or even unplug that device, my /home SDcard was unmounted also. The unmount script will unmount all devices named /dev/sdc* so this included /dev/sdc1 and /dev/sdcard1

To fix this I made the following changes.

When editing the /etc/udev/rules.d/50-xandros-udev.rules file
    use the following line instead.

BUS=="usb", KERNEL=="sd*", SYSFS{serial}=="146030377350", NAME="%k", OPTIONS+="last_rule", RUN+="/bin/mount /dev/%k /home"

Only edit the Serial number if needed. This will then automount the SDcard at /home no matter what device the kernel detects it as. and won't get unmounted when you try to remove other usb devices.

I also removed all entires for this device from /etc/fstab they are not needed any longer.

Cheers
    Dean

Quote Originally Posted by Muad_Dib View Post
    Hi Nik

I was able to get successfully get my SD card to mount as /home on my 4G EeePC.

Here's what I did.

I started with your steps.
    fdisk /dev/sdb1
    mkfs.ext2 /dev/sdb1
    umount /dev/sdb1

Next I went to the eeeuser.com wiki
    Auto-Mount USB Storage Devices [EeeUser Eee PC Wiki]

I followed most of the steps there.

Find out the serial number of your device

1. Insert your SD card or USB thumb drive
    2. Open the terminal (Ctrl-Alt-T in Easy mode, run konsole in Advanced). All actions below are performed in a terminal window. You may note some commands end with an &. This makes them run in background, so that if you say run a GUI editor like KWrite, you can get your terminal prompt back for further commands, even with KWrite still running.
    3. Save the contents of a virtual file /proc/bus/usb/devices into a real file in your home directory

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices > /home/user/usb_devices.txt

4. Open /home/user/usb_devices.txt in an editor

kwrite /home/user/usb_devices.txt &

5. Find your device and serial number. Look for sections where the I: line ends with Driver=usb-storage, a few lines above you will find the serial number of the card reader. Some devices will also have a product name you might recognise. It is this name that prevents some of them mount properly, preventing you to access them. Look for a line with Product=USB DISK 2.0 (note this is just an example, and your name may be different or not there at all).

T: Bus=05 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=04 Cnt=02 Dev#= 2 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
    D: Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs= 1
    P: Vendor=0cf2 ProdID=6225 Rev= 1.00
    S: Manufacturer=ENE
    S: Product=UB6225
    S: SerialNumber=146030377350
    C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=498mA
    I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=06 Prot=50 Driver=usb-storage
    E: Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
    E: Ad=82(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms

Configure device detection

Make note of the serial number, or just keep the file open for cut and paste.
    Edit /etc/udev/rules.d/50-xandros-udev.rules. You need to be root to do it:

sudo kwrite /etc/udev/rules.d/50-xandros-udev.rules &

Find the comment

# usb, removable storage

Immediately after this comment, so that it will replace the Asus dialog, add the following line, changing the serial number to match your device and optionally changing the name sdcard1 (in both places)

*Error was here*
    Use the following line instead.

BUS=="usb", KERNEL=="sd*", SYSFS{serial}=="146030377350", NAME="%k", OPTIONS+="last_rule", RUN+="/bin/mount /dev/%k /home"

Make sure the above line is correct, especially taking care the number and placement of = signs is matching. Probably the best thing to do is to copy and paste the line above, just change the Serial number if required.

That's it. No need to edit fstab at this point.

I saved the file and rebooted..

It worked like a charm.

Good Luck
    Dean