Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok so not another "Which distro on my laptop" thread. I have a Compaq N600c Pentium III-M 1.06mhz 256mb ram 20gb HDD Windows 2000pro ATI Mobility Radeon (not sure of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Compaq N600c

Ok so not another "Which distro on my laptop" thread.

I have a Compaq N600c
    Pentium III-M 1.06mhz
    256mb ram
    20gb HDD
    Windows 2000pro
    ATI Mobility Radeon (not sure of model or Vram, or if it's onboard or what)

I was doing a search around the forums and found that some reccomended distros for a system like mine included Xubuntu and Damn Small Linux.

I have fairly limited linux knowledge, I've used Xandros 3.02oce, Gnoppix (one of the v3 ones) and Knoppix (one of the V4 ones) and Ubuntu 7.04.

Would Ubuntu 7.04 be a good option for this laptop? (I already have a DVD of this)
    is Xubuntu a good alternative as far as hardware recognition and functionality go?
    Is Damn Small Linux to "simple" for home computing, or is it a quick, efficient alternative which I should consider?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

[EDIT]
    I did forget to say that I tried booting it with the Ubuntu 7.04 live install DVD, which took 5-10mins to boot into the OS, I'm assuming that once installed on the HDD it'd take around the same length of time?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    The reason why Ubuntu took so long to boot the live cd is because of the ram. Typically Ubuntu requires a minimum of 384MB of ram to run the live cd and install from there. It won't take as long to boot once its installed to hdd.

Just Joined!
    Hmmm, ok. I think I'll give it a go tomorrow with ubuntu and see how it runs once installed.

Would I have much of a problem with trying to run applications in Ubuntu with these limited resources?

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    You could experience a bit of sluggishness when running memory intensive applications.