Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ladies and Gents, I have a Toshiba M200 tablet PC whihc has an intrinsic error in that it lacks a CDROM. I can add one via pcmcia, but for some ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux on Toshiba M200 Tablet PC - No bootable CDROM

Ladies and Gents,

I have a Toshiba M200 tablet PC whihc has an intrinsic error in that it lacks a CDROM. I can add one via pcmcia, but for some reason, after the initial boot, this drive is no longer readable. I have this issue with the restore disk and also a bootable CD/DVD.

All of those problems aside, is there a way that I can install or mount Linux (any distribution) from a second computer if I have the Laptop hard drive connected via USB to the second computer?

With windows, you need to have all the hardware for the install to work, but with linux can i image the drive with basic drivers so that it will also have a boot sector?

If this is possible, since I am very new to linux, can you explain how I might be able to do this from within a windows environment on a second computer?

Thanks,

joe

joseph@greatbass.com

Just Joined!
    Just send me the Toshiba M200 Tablet PC and I will tell you how to get it to work. The sooner you send it, the sooner I will tell you!

What liveCD distros are you using? Many of the newer ones should have support for pcmcia cdrom drives.

It can be helpful if you provide more information on your system and what distros (version) you are trying to install and use.

is there a way that I can install or mount Linux (any distribution) from a second computer if I have the Laptop hard drive connected via USB to the second computer?
    Yes. Boot up the second comptuer with the installation CD and select the M200 harddrive to install the Linux distro.

What interfaces does this PC have, and what will the BIOS allow it to boot up from?
    " 1 x Modem - Phone line - RJ-11, 1 x Network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45, 1 x Infrared - IrDA, 2 x Hi-Speed USB - 4 pin USB Type A, 1 x Docking / port replicator - 240 pin docking, 1 x Microphone - Input - Mini-phone 3.5 mm, 1 x Headphones - Output - Mini-phone stereo 3.5 mm, 1 x Display / video - VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15)"