Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Sony Vaio SZ 750 N/C, and have been comparing live distros to help me decide which one to install. I compared Fedora, Mandriva, OpenSuse, Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, PCLinuxOS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Post Comparison of Linux Live CD Distros for Sony Vaio SZ750 N/C

I have a Sony Vaio SZ 750 N/C, and have been comparing live distros to help me decide which one to install. I compared Fedora, Mandriva, OpenSuse, Ubuntu, PCLinuxOS, PCLinuxOS MiniMe, and Debian.

Of the free, live distros, I decided on Ubuntu and/or Mandriva, though Fedora wasn't far behind, but I just don't need that many Linux systems floating around I'm going to probably give Xandros a shot too, but it's not a live CD nor free, so I haven't studied it yet.

I am sharing a document I wrote as I performed my comparisons (using Microsoft Excel on an older computer.) Actually, I zipped the file because XLS attachments to forum postings aren't permitted. Given that most Linux distros make a decent attempt to include software which can deal with .ZIP and .XLS files, I hope that's okay.

thanks,
    LM

If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions for me for updating this document comparing various Live distros, please let me know.

I intend to try the VAIO's 3G wireless internet connection later this week for Fedora, Mandriva, and Ubuntu, to see if they recognize that hardware and use it correctly. After I've added that information, I'll post the document again.

If you have a preference for a document format (rather than .XLS), please let me know! If I can, I'll post it in that format instead of a zipped XLS.

thanks,
    LM