Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I just got the Aspire One. I activated the Russian keyboard (my main language). The default layout follows English (e.g. Russian "A" is on the "A" key). But the "real" ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Change Russian keyboard layout on Acer Aspire One / Linpus?

I just got the Aspire One. I activated the Russian keyboard (my main language). The default layout follows English (e.g. Russian "A" is on the "A" key). But the "real" Russian keyboard (the default on all computers in Russia) is radically different. For example, Russian "A" should be where the English "F" key is.

So... is there a way to remap a given language keyboard's letter layout? (cf. Windows MSKLC keyboard layout editor.)

Or alternatively, is there a source to download and a way to install a standard Russian keyboard?

Thanks in advance! -RR

Just Joined!

Canadian Keyboard

My experience with my Acer Aspire One has been a bit more negative than I expected, and part of the problem is the keyboard. In Canada, all the advertising pictures show the US keyboard. I thought that I would like the 120GB HD version in Blue with Linux, so I pre-ordered it through TigerDirect.ca. It did not arrive for about a month, and though the priced dropped before I got my unit, TigerDirect.ca's website says "no refunds", so the price they charged was the original higher price.

Then I saw the keyboard, and was very annoyed. The Canadian keyboard is specifically called "French, Canadian Bilingual". I have the same general layout on a full size Toshiba laptop and I do not even like it on that computer. On the Acer Aspire One, it is even worse. There are 3 keys that are made even smaller than the regular key size. One is an extra key between the left Shift key and the "Z" key. Another is between the Double-Quote key and the Enter/Return key on the right side. The return key itself is narrower than usual and is 2 rows high. The 3rd narrow key is on the top alphabetic row (the QWERTY row) on the far right, before the Enter/Return key.

Because these 3 keys are smaller than the rest of the keys, you miss them when you want to hit them. Because they are located where they are (which is not what I am used to for an English keyboard), you hit them when you do not want to hit them.

Do any of the European, or other languages use this physical keyboard? I mean the hardware layout and not the key caps and software key assignments.

Does anyone actually *like* this keyboard layout in *any* language?

Just Joined!
    I just got the Aspire One.

So... is there a way to remap a given language keyboard's letter layout? (cf. Windows MSKLC keyboard layout editor.)

I believe I have solved my own problem. Foreign language keyboard maps on the Aspire One are stored in mnd/home/.scrim/user-tables/. Right-click on the Aspire One opening screen and launch File Manager. If you are a newbie to Linux, as I am, it helps to know two additional things: (1) on the Acer One “mnd/home/” (View as Advanced Mode) is the same as “My Disk:///” (View as Simple Mode); (2) in File Manager turn on View Hidden Files, or else no filename/folder name beginning with “.” shows up.

In the folder .scim folder (explained above), look for language.bin, where “language” is the name of the language whose keyboard map you want to edit. To be safe, back up everything. So to edit russian.bin, I did this:

1. Move (not copy - more on this in a bit) russian.bin to the Documents folder.

2. Copy russian.bin to russian.bin.old.

3. Open russian.bin in the Mousepad editor. The file has two important parts.

VALID_INPUT_CHARS =

The equals sign is followed by all the letters that you want to remap. If, for example “@” is not to be remapped, don’t include it in this line.

Then further down, we find

BEGIN_TABLE

That’s where the remapping starts. It consists of a series of lines with the format:
    English original character (tab) New foreign character (tab) 0

For example, Russian A is remapped to F as
    F A 0

The last line in the file is
    END_TABLE

Hint: make sure you keep the file for old table in a safe place, since if you forget letters, you might have to copy-paste from the old table!

4. When done, save the file as language.bin (in this case russian.bin).

5. Copy the newly edited file back to mnd/home/.scrim/user-tables/. (Remember that mnd/home/ is the same as My Disk:///)

6. Reboot. Your new keyboard mapping is ready to use.

Important: don’t leave two copies of the same language in the .scim directory, even if they have different filenames. The SCIM input engine won’t realize that there are two keyboard maps of the same language. It will arbitrarily(?) pick the wrong table. (I’m sure that more experienced users know how to edit the non-table part of the file so that SCIM see two keyboard layouts for the same and allows you to pick which one you want. My that’s beyond my three-day-old knowledge of SCIM and linpus.)

-RR

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2