Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
i am going to buy new wireless card for my laptop since i have no clue how the current one can be configured( currently have linksys wpc11 ver4) what is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

wireless notebook card

i am going to buy new wireless card for my laptop since i have no clue how the current one can be configured( currently have linksys wpc11 ver4) what is one that i can purchase that would be compatiable for linux
    lookin for 802.11b protocol and i am running mandrake 9.0

Just Joined!
    i have a intel 2200BG, and before that i had a Intel 2100B, they both work great with the ndiswrapper, but i think by now they should have finished writing the drivers for linux.
    here is the page to the drivers.

b.t.w., i'm not sure if you mean a PCI card or a PCMCIA, but these ones i'm talking about are PCI cards...

Just Joined!

wireless card

i mean PCMCIA of course notice i said laptop but oh well no biggie also i was hopin to find one that i dont have to jump through hoops cause i still in the beginners area when it comes to linux

Just Joined!
    I've just bought myself a new wireless card and it works great with Linux.

ORiNOCO Gold Classic. Got it from New Egg, 64.99 with shipping.

There's linux drivers on the disk and when I booted up SuSE on my laptop it had no issues detecting and installing the drivers.

Another card that I have that I've had work well with Linux is the Netgear WAB501.

Just Joined!
    i mean PCMCIA of course notice i said laptop but oh well no biggie also i was hopin to find one that i dont have to jump through hoops cause i still in the beginners area when it comes to linux
    no offense, but laptops also have pci cards (wireless) like i said, i've upgraded mine, my laptop is an "Acer Travelmate 290Lci", and this is just one of the many laptops which have a wireless pci card in it....

but unfortunately i can't help you with pcmcia since i don't use them ...

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by lepricaun
    i have a intel 2200BG, and before that i had a Intel 2100B, they both work great with the ndiswrapper
    You got the 2200 to work with Ndiswrapper? What is your distro? I've been fighting for some time with 2200BG and Mandrake 10.0 with ndiswrapper and as instructed on ipw2200 website, but haven't had the luck. Just changed for Suse 9.1 and hoping for the best.

/kortty

Linux Guru
    I just got a Netgear WG511. It's 802.11g. With the router and the pcmcia card, it was $50 at Amazon. Both Mandy 10.0 and Ubunutu 4.1 found and configured the card no problem, but I did have to d/l the firmware seperatly. Now with MDK 10.1, I didn't even have to do that.

Besides my Belkin UPS system, by far the most Linux compatible piece of hardware I've ever bought.

Jeremy
    Registered Linux user #346571
    "All The Dude ever wanted was his rug back" - The Dude

Linux User
    They generaly cost a little more but the Cisco Aironet cards work right out of the box.
    Long live the revolution!
    Have a nice day.
    If you want real change vote Libertarian!

Just Joined!
    You got the 2200 to work with Ndiswrapper? What is your distro? I've been fighting for some time with 2200BG and Mandrake 10.0 with ndiswrapper and as instructed on ipw2200 website, but haven't had the luck. Just changed for Suse 9.1 and hoping for the best.
    i have done it with slackware 9.1 / 10 , with RH9 and FC2. all with the version 8 of the ndiswrapper... like i said, works like a charm

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by lepricaun
    i have done it with slackware 9.1 / 10 , with RH9 and FC2. all with the version 8 of the ndiswrapper..
    Thanks, mate. Giving me some hope.

But version 8? When I check their website, there's version 0.10. Are you referring to version 0.08? Need to try that if I could find it.

/kortty

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast