Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there! After I installed a few things like ntfs-3g, skype, a driver for my Epson DX4000 (several times but couldn't get it going) and (install actually has failed so ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation Acer Aspire One heading towards no-go. Urgently help needed

Hi there!

After I installed a few things like ntfs-3g, skype, a driver for my Epson DX4000 (several times but couldn't get it going) and (install actually has failed so far) amsn, a friend and I mucked around a bit on my Acer Aspire One with Linpus, following this Roo’s View » Blog Archive » Acer Aspire One - Initial Impressions . I might have made a mistake with the passwd thing but the password works everywhere, also in root, so I guess it's ok after all. Just wanted to mention it in case it DOES have something to do with the problems.

After doing all this, things are not the same anymore:

1) When it boots up, it shows the task bar at the bottom and the search bar close to the top but the rest of the screen is black and it takes almost 5 (!!) minutes until the home screen with all the icons shows up.

2) the cursor is trembling

3) the icons for the printer and the calculator have disappeared. The text is still there and the programs can be started

4) when I click on display or network center, the loading motion around the cursor shows but stops after a few seconds. But that's all that happens. No further window popping up. Also not when I rightclick on the grey part of the screen and choose display or network center from there.

5) I cannot connect to the internet. Neither WiFi nor the network cable work. When I shift the button on the front that enables WiFi, it shows as active or inactive as it should but I cannot get a connection. When I go to System Information/Network, it shows LAN, WiFi and 3G/WiMax as N/A.
    There is also no connection icon on the system tray.

For the rest everything seems to work fine and I installed the updates that were available before I messed around with it.
    Hope I haven't forgotten to mention anything.

I would be sooo happy if anyone had an idea what went wrong and how I can fix this. I also don't know how to get a usable version of the recovery CD on a USB stick for the worst case...

Anyone? Pleeeeeezzzzz?

Thank you!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oh, in addition I can't start xfce-setting-show via the terminal anymore. I get the message:

env: xfce-mcs-manager: No such file or directory

When I search for it, I only find xfce-mcs-manager.new
    I have no idea what it is.

Heeeelp!

Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

oh nooooo, it does less and less. Can't do anything in the terminal window anymore. I created a recovery USB drive but when I boot up with it, it says that bunzip2 can't open a file, bunzip2 error and there may be not enough memory.

When I connect a USB stick with some data on it, it doesnt show up in the file manager. Actually, there's nothing in the file manager except "My Disk" to the left but no files whatsoever to the right. What is eating my system? Am really starting to panic...

HEEEEEEEEEELP!!

I have to go on the road in a few days and need this lappie. Sneef!

Just Joined!
    It has been weeks since you posted this, and you needed it working back then, so I expect you already did what I am about to suggest:

Re-image your computer using the recovery disc and start over again. Apply all loadable patches again. This time do not add any software except the patches, for a couple of days. The reason is that I have noticed an oddity about the Live Update system. It seems to have bugs of its own, and some patches do not show up immediately, despite the fact that they are available.

After that, add software very slowly and notice exactly when problems start to occur.

Report the bugs.

Just Joined!
    I should also add that even the current BIOS has bugs in it. Compared to the first ASUS EeePCs this is noticably less stable. But that product has been out for quite a while now. Over a year?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Smile thanks

Thank you very much for your reply. I didn't know about the missing patches, that's very valuable info.

Indeed I had to do a recovery. But I installed programs again immediately because I needed them. Worked rather well but it seems to be developing some hickups again. The calculator icon has disappeared, the system is slowing down a bit and freezes from time to time.
    If I get major problems again, I will try your suggestion.

Thanks again!