Find the answer to your Linux question:
I just bought a new HDD to apply the Knoppix version of Linux on. I downloaded the .iso from one of the websites (?watch). The thing of it is is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Trying to install Knoppix on a Vista Machine

I just bought a new HDD to apply the Knoppix version of Linux on. I downloaded the .iso from one of the websites (?watch).

The thing of it is is that I went to My Computer (RClicked)Manage and down to Disk Management to create a new volume and set up a swap and new partition. In doing so with the wizard, I received an error message stating " The Operation Failed, due to hard drive not initializing."

I have tried just booting and trying to use only the iso -- No luck

My questions are this:

1. Do I need NT Loader?

2. Boot Disk -- And how do I get one from the Vista box - so far I've been unable to find a way to make one?

3. Do I need FDISK to do the partitioning?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by jkrasch View Post
    I just bought a new HDD to apply the Knoppix version of Linux on. I downloaded the .iso from one of the websites (?watch).
    How did you burn the ISO to disc? Simply dragging and dropping the file onto a CD and burning it won't work. You need to open the ISO image in a burning program such as Nero or Roxio and "burn image to disc." Then reboot your computer with the CD in the drive.

The thing of it is is that I went to My Computer (RClicked)Manage and down to Disk Management to create a new volume and set up a swap and new partition. In doing so with the wizard, I received an error message stating " The Operation Failed, due to hard drive not initializing."
    Are you trying to set up a swap partition in Vista? Don't do this. All you need to do in Vista is make sure you have an empty (unformatted) partition large enough to fit your Linux install (4-10GB is fine, more is better). You can set up your swap once you're in Linux.

Also, the install process for Knoppix is a bit more involved than some other Linux distributions so I personally wouldn't recommend it to someone who's completely new to Linux. I would instead recommend you try Ubuntu or Fedora.

My questions are this:

1. Do I need NT Loader?
    You can configure NT Loader to give you a choice between Vista and Linux, but it's not necessary. The Linux bootloaders (GRUB or LILO) can load your Vista OS just fine. Usually they are installed by default without any special interaction from you.

2. Boot Disk -- And how do I get one from the Vista box - so far I've been unable to find a way to make one?
    Again, not necessary. See my reply above.

3. Do I need FDISK to do the partitioning?
    If you choose to use Knoppix, yes. It's included on the LiveCD. I personally prefer CFDISK (also included) but they do the same thing.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!

Cool I just bought a new HDD to apply the Knoppix....

TechnieMoe,

Thanks for your response. I did try opening the iso then burning it with Nero. Then rebooting. Didn't work

Also Vista was already loaded on an HP Pavillion (2 Hdds- 1 for OS/ other for apps)

I have little experience with working with the Red Hat version of Linux and wanted to beef up on the os. It's been about 5 years since I've messed around with it.SO I'm working a little blind here.

Creating a boot disk from Vista - is not being a happy camper - unless I'm missing the catch

yep. I did trying setting the swap from Vista -thought I'd give it a try. No GO

"The Linux bootloaders (GRUB or LILO) can load your Vista OS just fine" -- Since Vista is already loaded and I don't have the OS CDs -- how do I work around this??

"If you choose to use Knoppix, yes. It's included on the LiveCD. I personally prefer CFDISK (also included) but they do the same thing." re: FDISK

Where can I get the LIVECD?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    TechnieMoe,

Thanks for your response. I did try opening the iso then burning it with Nero. Then rebooting. Didn't work
    Is your computer's BIOS set up to boot from the CDROM first? That might also be a cause of your problem. You can usually access the BIOS settings with F8 or DELETE right before the Windows boot splash comes up.

Creating a boot disk from Vista - is not being a happy camper - unless I'm missing the catch
    Again, this shouldn't be necessary. At all.

"The Linux bootloaders (GRUB or LILO) can load your Vista OS just fine" -- Since Vista is already loaded and I don't have the OS CDs -- how do I work around this??
    I'm not sure I understand your question. Installing the Linux bootloader onto your harddrive does not require any reinstallation or whatnot from your Vista discs.

"If you choose to use Knoppix, yes. It's included on the LiveCD. I personally prefer CFDISK (also included) but they do the same thing." re: FDISK

Where can I get the LIVECD?
    The regular version of Knoppix is the LiveCD. They're one in the same.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    In re: of my question regarding the work around - if I remember correctly -- one is to install Linux prior to any other OS?

That's what I was referring.

Your full of very helpful information -

Thank you

Jo

In re: of my question regarding the work around - if I remember correctly -- one is to install Linux prior to any other OS?
    No, quite the opposite actually. Linux tends to work better with Microsoft Windows (any version) when installed after the fact.
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Thank you ready your reply has helped