Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have this laptop and I can not install linux on it. I tried ubuntu 8.04 and fedora 9, but without a luck. The installer does not even want to ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which linux on Toshiba Satellite L300D-10A .

I have this laptop and I can not install linux on it. I tried ubuntu 8.04 and fedora 9, but without a luck. The installer does not even want to start. Can someone who have any experience with this model tell me which linux distro will work.

Thanks in advance.

Blackfooted Penguin daark.child's Avatar
    Can you provide detailed info on what happens when you try to install Linux? Distros that may work successfully are Mandriva and openSUSE. If those don't work as well, then there could be some sort of hardware issue causing problems.

Just Joined!
    Ok, i patched the BIOS and now I'm able to install any linux distro I want.

Another problem, is that I can not put my laptop in standby what I close the lid. I change the settings in the "power options" to go to standby when the lid is closed, but nothing happens. No mater which option I choose, when I close the lid nothing happens. Is there any solution for this?

I have also recompiled many different kernels with all possible ACPI options (different combination), and also with "Toshiba Laptop Extras" but still nothing happens.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

On your standby issue, that's been a problem with past versions of Linux. I've had good luck on standby with my laptop using the latest version of Ubuntu (8.10). You might give that one a shot.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants

Just Joined!
    Intheresting.. I just tried ubuntu (8.10)yesterday and still, the same problem. I also updated it, and still no luck.

1. Which ubuntu did you use? Actualy, did you use ubuntu or kubuntu?

2. Did you use 32 or 64 bit version.

3. Is there any specific tips that you would like to share for this problem.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by techieMoe View Post
    On your standby issue, that's been a problem with past versions of Linux. I've had good luck on standby with my laptop using the latest version of Ubuntu (8.10). You might give that one a shot.