Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Im a 18y old student that recently managed to destroy his home-computer (windows) and have now ordered and laptop. The problem i have is choosing a Linux distro. Everybody ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Student needs help:confused:

Hello
    Im a 18y old student that recently managed to destroy his home-computer (windows) and have now ordered and laptop.
    The problem i have is choosing a Linux distro. Everybody seems to recommend differnt distros and say its a matter of "personal choice" etc.. My problem is i just need a system that fits my needs:
    Stability, School work(office of a kind? writing, presentation etc), wireless connection, downloads, music, moviewatching and able to do many things at once without lag etc.. And still not be to advanced for me to learn and figure out since ive never ever had linux before.

so im looking for: stability, simplicity? userfriendly, nice look? and would prefer some power if possible(effective atleast

So if any distros comes to youre mind while reading this please let me know.. and why you would recommend that one for me! THANKS

My computer if relevant
    15,4" Widescreen WSXGA+ 1680x1050 blank skjerm (glare)
    NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ 9600M GT skjermkort 512MB
    INTEL CORE 2 DUO P8600 2.4GHZ 1066MHz FSB 3MB cache 25W
    200GB SATA 7200RPM 2.5" [+
    4GB DDR2 SO-Dimm 800Mhz

Also a question does all the systems download al the drivers itself? Since that would also be preferable!

And seriously, if anyone takes the time to help me! Thank you very, very much!

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."

Quote Originally Posted by widding View Post
    Hello
    Im a 18y old student that recently managed to destroy his home-computer (windows) and have now ordered and laptop.
    The problem i have is choosing a Linux distro. Everybody seems to recommend differnt distros and say its a matter of "personal choice"
    Well...."everybody" is right. We're not trying to be cheeky or brush your question aside, we really mean it when we say your distribution is very much your choice.

If this helps, think of it like ice cream. Everyone has their own favorite, and everyone's tastes are different. You could ask 100 people and get 100 different answers. When you ask someone to pick a distribution of Linux for you it's like walking into an ice cream shop with a hundred flavors and telling the clerk to pick your favorite for you. There's just no possible way we can know what you're going to like. You have to try a few for yourself.

etc.. My problem is i just need a system that fits my needs:
    Stability, School work(office of a kind? writing, presentation etc), wireless connection, downloads, music, moviewatching and able to do many things at once without lag etc.. And still not be to advanced for me to learn and figure out since ive never ever had linux before.

so im looking for: stability, simplicity? userfriendly, nice look? and would prefer some power if possible(effective atleast
    Any popular Linux distribution can do all of that and more. When I say "popular" I mean anything on the top 20 or so of DistroWatch. You shouldn't worry about what one distro can do that another can't. They all share the same abilities. It's just a matter of whichever one delivers those abilities in a style that you like.

My computer if relevant
    15,4" Widescreen WSXGA+ 1680x1050 blank skjerm (glare)
    NVIDIAŽ GeForceŽ 9600M GT skjermkort 512MB
    INTEL CORE 2 DUO P8600 2.4GHZ 1066MHz FSB 3MB cache 25W
    200GB SATA 7200RPM 2.5" [+
    4GB DDR2 SO-Dimm 800Mhz
    That's a pretty standard machine. You should have no issues running Linux on it. One thing that might trip you up is your wireless card. Do you know what kind of chipset it uses? That makes a difference. If it's an Intel wireless card you're set. Most Linux distributions detect those out of the box.

Also a question does all the systems download al the drivers itself? Since that would also be preferable!
    The only things you might have to download yourself are video drivers and wireless drivers. All other things should just work. Again, if you have Intel wireless that's not an issue.

You have an Nvidia card, which is well supported in Linux. Some distributions such as Ubuntu will even detect that and give you the option to have the system download and configure the video driver for you (with a program called "Hardware Drivers").

If not, the install process is a little daunting to new folks but not difficult. If you have any questions any step of the way don't hesitate to start up a thread in the appropriate section of the forum and we'll help you out. Here are some good beginner links:

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...ead-first.html

Happy hunting!
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants