Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have a old ibm think pad with a Pentium 2 i was righting a book on windows 98 but it will not boot windows 98 any more how do ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Need help geting a file off a old labtop!!!!

i have a old ibm think pad with a Pentium 2 i was righting a book on windows 98 but it will not boot windows 98 any more how do i get my file off ?

i tryed to boot dsl from the live cd fond my file in the shell
    "sudo su , mount /dev/hda1, cd /mnt/hda1 , cd /My Documents.... "
    and found my file but now what do i do with it how do i get it off my laptop ?

i wood like to put Linux on my laptop when i get my files off any suggestions on a distribution ?

thank you?

You have a couple of options to get that file off the laptop.

First, you could try using DSL to move it to a USB drive.

Or, you could shrink the Windows partition, and install Linux in the remaining space. Then you would be able to move the file off the Windows partition and onto your Linux partition. After that, it would be easy to expand the Linux partition to take over the whole laptop.

Welcome to the forums
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by nate1467 View Post
    i have a old ibm think pad with a Pentium 2 i was righting a book on windows 98 but it will not boot windows 98 any more how do i get my file off ?

i tryed to boot dsl from the live cd fond my file in the shell
    "sudo su , mount /dev/hda1, cd /mnt/hda1 , cd /My Documents.... "
    and found my file but now what do i do with it how do i get it off my laptop ?

i wood like to put Linux on my laptop when i get my files off any suggestions on a distribution ?

thank you?
    First get your file(s) off the hard drive.

Before trying to load Linux though, you should be wondering why it fails to boot Windows. From the age of your laptop, it sounds like you might have a hard drive dying. Your laptop is so old that the hard drive probably does not even have built in integrity testing capability. You will have to find a hard drive test program to run on it. This is not just a surface test. You have to check the head movement and the bearings. That requires "thrashing around" the head. I do not have a copy of such a test anymore. If *any* test does not show a 100% perfect hard drive, I would replace it. There is no point in loading anything on a marginal hard drive. You will probably be forced to replace it in the next few months anyway.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    o i cant find my usb in dsl
    i know i have to use the "mount" command but i do not know what my usb is called how do i find it ?