Find the answer to your Linux question:
I own a Uniwill 258KA0 with a widescreen LCD Display and am currently running Fedora Core 2 64 bit edition. For the most part, everything seems to be working ok. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Widescreen Laptop Display Drivers

I own a Uniwill 258KA0 with a widescreen LCD Display and am currently running Fedora Core 2 64 bit edition. For the most part, everything seems to be working ok. However, I am having some problems with finding a driver for the widescreen display on the laptop. I specifically need a 1280 x 800 driver, which I assume, just as in windows, must be a 64 bit driver since it is a 64 bit OS. Right now I am running in 1024 x 768, and it doesn't look too bad, but I could definately use some more screen real estate.

The other problem I seem to be having is with USB devices, while booting, the OS will freeze while scanning for USB devices, however, if I unplug the devices and then plug them in later, while it is officially scanning for hardware changes, it will detect the hardware and install it. Everything will work the first time, but will freeze again on the next reboot, any ideas on this? I have two devices plugged in through a USB hub, one is my USB mouse, and the other is just a notebook cooler which uses USB for power, but is not connected to the laptop for any singnals.

Lastly, as a general linux question, how do you mount NTFS Windows partitions to be read by Linux? I remember these partitions are read only, but I just need to be able to access my files to use with linux.

Thanks for all your help,

~Lyuokdea

Just Joined!
    Hello,

I have a emachines M5116 widescreen laptop and run both SuSE and Mandrake on it. To get the display I manually reconfigured the /etc/X11/XF86Config file.

The monitor section now looks like -

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "monitor1"
    Vendor Name "Generic"
    Model Name "Flat Panel 1280x800"
    Horiz Sync 31.5-67
    Vert Refresh 50-75
    Mode Line 1280x800 83.91 1280 1312 1624 1656 800 816 824 841

The screen section has two parts looking like -

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "screen1"
    Device "device1"
    Monitor "monitor1"
    Default Colour Depth 24

Subsection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Virtual 1280 800
    EndSubsection

What this looks like in Fedora I know not but it might help. If it fails and wont start the display you will need to replace the new XF86Config with the old one to get back into your display.

Donald

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Hello,

I have a emachines M5116 widescreen laptop and run both SuSE and Mandrake on it. To get the display I manually reconfigured the /etc/X11/XF86Config file.

The monitor section now looks like -

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "monitor1"
    Vendor Name "Generic"
    Model Name "Flat Panel 1280x800"
    Horiz Sync 31.5-67
    Vert Refresh 50-75
    Mode Line 1280x800 83.91 1280 1312 1624 1656 800 816 824 841

The screen section has two parts looking like -

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "screen1"
    Device "device1"
    Monitor "monitor1"
    Default Colour Depth 24

Subsection "Display"
    Depth 24
    Virtual 1280 800
    EndSubsection

What this looks like in Fedora I know not but it might help. If it fails and wont start the display you will need to replace the new XF86Config with the old one to get back into your display.

Donald
    Is that the only way? I'm not confident enough to attempt to modify any files, and I'm regretting I bought a wide screen laptop. See Donald, its all good for folks like yourself, but us rather ordinary users are locked out from using Linux, the damn hardware issue again!

Hi fuzzyman !

This thread is more than 5 years old. A lot of things has been changed since then.
    I would suggest you to start a new thread in appropriate forum and explain your problem in detail. We will try our best to help you.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First