Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi Guys, I'm looking to find a distribution of Linux that can boot up the fastest -- what do you guys recommend? I just want the least amount of load ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Fast Boot Linux on Laptop

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to find a distribution of Linux that can boot up the fastest -- what do you guys recommend?

I just want the least amount of load time and need to be able to access nvidia display properties.

This will be loaded on laptop with a dedicated nvidia card. The system BIOS does not currently allow for activating the external display in DOS mode (this feature is locked out) and we have specific requirement to activate external DVI display, so we need to load into any OS to activate external DVI display through the nvidia driver software. Time is critical as the unit will be used for testing on external display and will need to be shut down / booted up many times a day. We can't justify loading into windows each time because it is so slow.

Alternatively, if anyone knows anything about modifying / hacking the system BIOS file to support boot-up to external monitor and bypass built laptop LCD -- this would be even better. I do have the BIOS file if anyone has a toolkit to perform something like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by mattob View Post
    Hi Guys,

I'm looking to find a distribution of Linux that can boot up the fastest -- what do you guys recommend?
    Boot speed depends for the most part on what services you load at startup. Disable all that you don't want/need and the boot speed should be fast on pretty much any distro.

That said, I've always found CRUX to be fast at booting.
    oz

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the recommendation. If anyone has any advice as far as modifying / hacking the BIOS to POST to external DVI monitor on boot rather than the built in LCD -- this would be amazing!