Find the answer to your Linux question:
I find myself as a Linux newbie by default, in a sense. And I realise this is a relatively new machine on the market, but hope the OS is sufficiently ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Acer Aspire One: ummm, oops

I find myself as a Linux newbie by default, in a sense. And I realise this is a relatively new machine on the market, but hope the OS is sufficiently standard that somebody can help me, please.

I bought an Acer One Aspire 8MB Netbook for my wife because the GUI was simple (e.g., click 'browser' and it runs) and it is preinstalled with Linpus Linux - which I think is a derivative of Fedora.

Then I discovered that you have to do some work to install new programs and upgrades! No problem. A quick overview of linux, a read throught the forums and we'll be right.

Ah, but a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

I attempted to install Firefox 3.0.3 but, because it didn't show as a Package Management option, I downloaded the tar.bz2 to the Downloads folder. Then I extracted files and attempted to install - following instructions on the Firefox site and some good stuff from control-escape.com and tuxfiles.org.

It wouldn't run. Nor would the File Manager, when I went to check the folder contents. And no shortcuts were working from their icons on the desktop anymore. I found that 'nautilus file manager' wasn't running, whatever that is. Danger signs?

I thought I would restart the machine and try again. Wrong decision.

I don't know what I've done! I thought I was only working in the Downloads and /Firefox folders, but clearly I have disrupted other settings. The desktop has disappeared and the background wallpaper is there, but nothing else. I can't even turn the machine off, to try the recovery disk.

All suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.

Hi and Welcome !

Press Alt+Ctrl+F1. Dose it drop you at command line login prompt? Which Desktop Environment are you using? Gnome or KDE or anything else?
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First