Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello Cyber-people, This may be a very irritating rather usual question asked by some linux newbie... I am using Acer Aspire 5310. Intel celeron M processor 530, Intel Graphics Media ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Exclamation Advice for linux distribution

Hello Cyber-people,

This may be a very irritating rather usual question asked by some linux newbie...
    I am using Acer Aspire 5310.
    Intel celeron M processor 530,
    Intel Graphics Media accelerator 950,
    512 MB DDR2
    802.11b/g WLAN (AR5007* atheros wifi)

I had been using yum based fedora and then switched over to Ubuntu and then back to Fedora beta (9.93 - 10) and used Ubuntu both H.Heron and I.Ibex..
    I am a developer (application and web)
    so my basic necessity is:
    PHP, MYSQL, APACHE, NETBEANS, ECLIPSE, and........... youtube
    in my hardware I am happy if sound, display and wifi works, i dont care for 56kmodem and etc...

Can anyone suggest me a distribution that I can stick around with? While working with Fedora 9.93 I had no issues at all but after turning to F10, my screen started going all white, flickering, etc.. maybe my lappy did not like updates...
    and ubuntu Hardy heron would do the same, whn I tried playing with compiz my Intrepid Ibex threw my screen and all white out... I had to use DSL to recover my data... Can anyone suggest (not the best for all but best for my laptop) a distribution (GNOME based)..

Thanks and Regards

darkblue

Just Joined!
    Sounds like it might be the graphics driver, in that case you will have the same issue no matter what distribution you use. Since you had no issues with earlier FC9 and Ubuntu installations, there must exist some package or driver that is at the heart of you problem. I would suggest finding the problem first and then choosing a distribution second.

There are a lot of great distributions out there that can serve your purposes. No matter which one you choose you can install Gnome so what it boils down to is what you like/dislike about your experiences so far with Ubuntu and FC. If you post those likes/dislikes I'm sure you will get some good suggestions to point you in the right direction.

Good Luck

oz
    forum.guy
    I'm not sure at all what distro is the best for your laptop, but Fedora, OpenSUSE, and Ubuntu are probably the most popular choices for laptops. I'm personally not a fan of RPM-oriented distros, but then I'm not all that wild about APT-oriented distros, either. Whatever route you should take, any distro with a later kernel version should have most if not all the drivers that you might need.

You could take a look at Arch, Debian, or Gentoo, because they each allow for a simple base system installation, then you add only the packages that you want/need. If you don't like to manually configure your system, these might not be good options for you. After distro hopping for several years and going through about 50 distributions, including all the above, I finally settled for Arch. It's been working well enough for the last 4 years, but I've never tried it on a laptop, and it's certainly not a distro that everyone would like.

Maybe a laptop owner with the same model as yours will chime in with a specific recommendation based on their own experience.

Best of luck with your search.
    oz

@ __RYAN__

I cannot list down likes and dislikes as there are many things that I have not even thought of.. yes, probably I liked what you said about finding the problem first, but dmesg, etc I even checked with bugzilla for fedora but did not find any solution, launchpad, etc.. no go!!!

@Oz

Arch sounds good... My friends enlightened me about gOS but since google does an anonymous usage survey, I dislike it on ethical basis... I wanted to try elive but unfortunately, my paypal account is at 1, which is less than minimum... .. I will use Arch and see What I have!!! will give feedback right here, then you can close the thread!

obrigado!

I dont know if double posting is allowed but since I said in my previous post that I will reply and then thread can be closed, I am replying.

I tried Arch linux which I found was SO STRIPPED to minimal that you can install ONLY what you want unlike other distributions, however, my experience with Slackware was similar. I was fascinated by reviews of Arch but after installation there was a need for lot of tweaking and finally I believe my system would have been more stable but, I seriously had no time as it was already morning 4 and I should be doing yoga by that time, thinking about Yoga I got an idea of trying something new, so I tried ozOS which made me fall in love but still there was something missing, I said, its TOO user friendly and doesn't suit a tech like me.. hehe, then tried gOS which offcourse I did not install but lightweight desktop... maybe that is what I was looking for since so long. I run NetBeans and Eclipse with httpd and mysqld in sleep mode, my memory is 512MB out of which I get 466 rest all goes to my beautiful desktop. I thought about which distribution IMPRESSED me with its hardcoreness and commercial level robustness, points jotted down to Fedora. Oops! Well, after some googling of how to make GNOME not use my resources, I came across something new that I never read about lxde, lightweight x desktop environment, installed fedora, did yum groupinstall lxde and here, a satisfied distro user! Still I wanna experiment, I don't know why. Perhaps, I will update my blogspot after sipping some caffeine.
    Thanks anyways for all your help people.

Regards,