Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
I am glad to help you. Check this tutorial on How to create PartedMagic LiveUSB....
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

I am glad to help you.
    Check this tutorial on How to create PartedMagic LiveUSB.
    It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.
    New Users: Read This First

Jvr
    Just Joined!
    Absolout Gem!
    Worked like a charm, hard drive partitioned, some to think of it though, i have no idea why i split it half/half, the linux wont need much space atall as it stand heh. will change that.

Should i go ahead and install xp on the second partition (primary for some reason)?

Should i be expecting plenty of fiddling with grub once xp's on there?

-Jvr

Create new partition, /dev/sda3 (Primary). Install Windows OS in it. Windows OS will remove GRUB and you won't be able to boot Linux. It's really easy to reinstall grub. Install Windows and post back. I'll post necessary code for grub reinstall after that.

Jvr
    Just Joined!
    Umm, that didnt go so well...
    Windows ran through the first part of the install fine, formated the partition i made for it and restarted but upon restarting it says

Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware confiurationg problem.
    Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware.
    Please check the windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for aditional information.

Tabbing does not make much difference and neither does setting it to boot from the USB as it just starts from the beginning again.

Seems like it cant find the files on the USB to continue the installation

Any thoughts as to where i could have gone wrong there?

-Jvr

I dont have any experience in Windows Installation through USB. You have to google for it. Do let us know how it goes. In any case, do not format Linux partition(s). We will re-install GRUB and Linux will work fine.

Jvr
    Just Joined!
    Hey,
    I'm working on getting XP on there but having the usual "hal" problem...
    It was suggested that the problem lays in where windows is looking to boot from so I went into the boot.ini with bootit and modified it but it made no difference...
    Will have another shot at it in a bit though

I must say, I'v come a long way, learnt a fair bit and done things i had no idea could be done and as interesting as it's been i'm hoping that at least one step in the near future is going to go smoothly though heh. I'm looking forward to getting xp sorted for my java work and such but am going to have to find a new problem, or optimise xp as far as i can and then look into "linux's" heh

-Jvr

Jvr
    Just Joined!
    Hey,
    I'v managed to get a a USB CD drive to use so i should have XP on there shortly, will let you know how it goes, seems quiet happy though

Any next steps would be good

Best regards
    -Jvr

Jvr
    Just Joined!
    hey,
    I have windows running and have all the drivers on there. Its not running badly atall and boots in 38 seconds!
    I'm hoping it will stay that way for now at least

Would get to work on the linpus but have work soon...

best regards

-Jvr

Download SuperGRUB CD/USB ( Instuctions for USB are available at that link), boot up from it and select Fix Linux Boot Loader (GRUB). It will re-install GRUB. There won't be any option to boot up Windows OS in GRUB Menu. You have to add an entry for Windows OS in GRUB manually. Thats very easy.
    Post the output of fdisk -l command here. Post the contents of /boot/grub/menu.lst file too.
    You have to add 3 lines of code in menu.lst file only.

Jvr
    Just Joined!
    I'm a little concerned to say the least as it stands...
    I dont have a working linux system so I got the ISO and put it onto a disk (apparently it cant be put on a USB from windows), i put the CD in, booted the laptop off it and nothing...

Turn off the laptop, turn on again and nothing.

Just a black screen. i'v trieda few times since and still nothing just a black screen so i'm thinking recover from the supplied CD but i dont know if i can even do that as it doesnt seem to be booting

Do I have any options or is the notebook now fubar

-Jvr

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast