Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have been toying with the idea of loading Ubuntu on to a small notebook type laptop, probably a Belnea o.book 1 or 2 (or something like that). I don't ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Question Loading Ubuntu onto a notebook

I have been toying with the idea of loading Ubuntu on to a small notebook type laptop, probably a Belnea o.book 1 or 2 (or something like that). I don't know much about linux. If the laptop I buy has no operating system at all will it be possible to load Ubuntu & will it have sufficient memory, ie will I need a bigger processor like I need to run Vista Home Premium on the Belnea o.book 3 I have at the moment? Or will I be able to load Ubuntu onto a small laptop?

Thanks, Daveski.

oz
    forum.guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveski17 View Post
    I have been toying with the idea of loading Ubuntu on to a small notebook type laptop, probably a Belnea o.book 1 or 2 (or something like that). I don't know much about linux. If the laptop I buy has no operating system at all will it be possible to load Ubuntu & will it have sufficient memory, ie will I need a bigger processor like I need to run Vista Home Premium on the Belnea o.book 3 I have at the moment? Or will I be able to load Ubuntu onto a small laptop?

Thanks, Daveski.
    Welcome to the forums!

Linux should run on most modern laptops. Most distributions don't have the same requirements that Vista would have. Ubuntu and OpenSuse are popular choices for laptop users. Check the link in my signature for lots of good information on getting started with Linux.

Hope it turns out to be lots of fun for you.
    oz

Just Joined!
    OK, thanks for the info & the reply.

I don't know what the specs on your lappy is, but I'll tell ya this for info.
    I run Puppy Dingo on a Amrel 900Mhz, 256 mb ram, Amrel Police Laptop.
    I run NimbleX 2008 KDE on a Amrel 500 Mhz, 128 mb ram, Amrel Police Laptop.

Puppy flies on the first one. NimbleX runs respectably on the 2nd. Both run Wireless through PCMCIA Slot.

Ununtu will run fine on first laptop if I bumped up the 256mb ram up to 512 mb ram. It would also run fine on the 2nd Laptop if I did the same to it. Good Luck.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Desktop installation

Most people will want to install a desktop system such as Ubuntu or Kubuntu. A desktop system is typically used for personal computing tasks and has a graphical user interface.

Bare Minimum requirements

It should be possible to get Ubuntu running on a system with the following minimum hardware specification, although it is unlikely that the system would run well. You should use the Alternate install CD to attempt such an installation.

* 300 MHz x86 processor
    * 64 MB of system memory (RAM)
    * At least 4 GB of disk space (for full installation and swap space)
    * VGA graphics card capable of 640x480 resolution
    * CD-ROM drive or network card

Recommended minimum requirements

Ubuntu should run reasonably well on a computer with the following minimum hardware specification. However, features such as visual effects may not run smoothly.

* 700 MHz x86 processor
    * 384 MB of system memory (RAM)
    * 8 GB of disk space
    * Graphics card capable of 1024x768 resolution

Sound card

A network or Internet connection

Note: All 64-bit (x86-64) PCs should be able to run Ubuntu. Use the 64-bit installation CD for a 64-bit-optimised installation.

Recommended for visual effects

Visual effects provide various special graphical effects for your desktop to make it look and feel more fun and easier to use. If your computer is not powerful enough to run visual effects, you can turn them off and will still have a usable Ubuntu desktop.

Visual effects are turned on by default if you have a graphics card which is supported. For information on supported graphics cards, see DesktopEffects.

* 1.2 GHz x86 processor
    * 384 MB of system memory (RAM)

Supported graphics card (see DesktopEffects)