Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
I currently use KDE 3.5 but am considering switching to a different Linux Distribution and using KDE 4.1.3 or may even wait for KDE 4.2 but since I'm using an ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Would KDE 4.1.3 run okay on an Intel Atom Netbook?

I currently use KDE 3.5 but am considering switching to a different Linux Distribution and using KDE 4.1.3 or may even wait for KDE 4.2 but since I'm using an Atom based Netbook I'm wondering how well it would run. Would I experience any type of slowdown with system performance?
    I do mostly minor work, mostly Mozilla Thunderbird for email, Firefox for web browsing, OpenOffice for word processing, and at times some of the programs like Kontact for scheduling and other things. I have 2GB of memory on the system but often do have these programs open at the same time. Would I experience any type of slowdowns or performance problems?

KDE 4 is supposed to consume less resources then KDE 3.5, thanks to QT 4.4
    What distribution do you currently use? There are probably repositories for your distro, so you can install and try KDE4.
    If I was to change distribution, I would wait for KDE 4.2. It will be released in January 27, so you won't wait too long and it will be a lot better than 4.1.3.
    (they close bugs by the hundreds every week!!)

Just Joined!
    That is good to hear. What is QT 4.4?
    I am currently using Mandriva 2009 Power Pack.

QT is a cross-platform application framework. KDE is the biggest project that uses QT, you could say that they have almost amalgamated. With version 4 of QT, KDE applications can be ported to Windows, Mac, Solaris and cellphones!! And it is supposed to use less resources than its previous version 3.

Mandriva has one of the best KDE4 implementations in my opinion, second only to OpenSuse. So you can stay with Mandriva.
    Go to Mandriva Control Center (icon between the house <your home folder> and the firefox icon on the taskbar next to the menu button. (Taken from this thread and may have changed slightly). Click on Add Remove software, in the search bar type KDE.
    Find KDE 4 in the results and mark it for installation. It will ask you about dependencies, so say yes to that.
    After the installation completes, log out or reboot and next time you can select KDE 4 at the login screen.

Just Joined!
    How important is the graphics processor to KDE 4.1.3? I don't even know offhand what processor is used by most Atom based netbooks but I'm wondering if that could be more of an issue than the CPU.

KDE 4.1 is very buggy. I wouldn't recommend it. I asked a question a month or so ago about when KDE 4.X would be "stable", most of the more established users said 4.5 or higher
    Bodhi 1.3 & Bodhi 1.4 using E17
    Dell Studio 17, Intel Graphics card, 4 gigs of RAM, E17

"The beauty in life can only be found by moving past the materialism which defines human nature and into the higher realm of thought and knowledge"

Waiting for version 4.2 that will be released in January 27, is probably a better option than installing 4.1.3 now. They have closed a few thousands bugs between the 2 versions.

WDC
    I would not reccomend it. KDE is a little clunky for something like that. I wouldn't even use KDE on my laptop, 2.1 Core 2 Duo, 3GB RAM. Never.

My EeePC 701 with a 900Mhz Celeron and 512MB ram has no problem with Xandros Linux using KDE.

Just Joined!

Only 384 Mb RAM needed

Kubuntu runs fine with 384 Mb RAM.

You won't have a problem on a netbook.

If you already have Ubuntu Netbook Remix on your netbook, install KDE (Kubuntu):

sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

KDE 4.2 is indeed superior to KDE 4.1. You don't need to wait for KDE 4.5.

If you want more information on Kubuntu, see

Kubuntu guide (kubuntuguide.org) at Intrepid - Kubuntuguide

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast