Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Originally Posted by Bemk If you want to install software, I think compiling software is something a newbie doesn't want to do. You would be better of using your software ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Quote Originally Posted by Bemk View Post
    If you want to install software, I think compiling software is something a newbie doesn't want to do. You would be better of using your software repositories. I know Debian has quite a large one, filled with Debian packages waiting for you to install them.

The code you'd want to preform I suppose is:
    Code:
    su
    Give your root password, because you are going to log in as root
    Code:
    apt-get install dansguardian && exit
    and there you are, with an installed application, ready to be configured/used.

Apt-get installs the package and exit lets you ext the root shell.

I already looked in the repositories for you and it's there, so you can just go and install it. If you aren't familiar with apt or synaptic, I think that I should tell you how you have to update your system.

The code for that is:
    Code:
    apt-get update && apt-get upgrade
    The update argument means that the system is going to download a new list, and upgrade means you are going to update the applications on your system.This should also be done from root. Be careful with root because it can break your system (not much fun when you erase your entire file system!), don't say I didn't warn you when you do break your system. Only use root when absolutely necessary! (I don't know whether or not Debian supports sudo, but if it does, and I find out I'll tell you how to work with that as well)
    i have tried apt get but it says not found anything i try in the root does not do anything perhaps i need a new fresh install but i have tried that befre and it didnt change anything should i download the source cde off the cnm lifestyle web site link do you thnk.i run 4 other pc at home and will change to a linux systm if i can get it all to work
    thanks
    john

tpl
    Linux User
    well, I'll take a shot at it: let's start here

> open a command window....

OK, then to make a directory "mkdir <dirname>"
    to go over there "cd <dirname>"
    to see what's there "ls" or "ls -l" for more info

if you see something like this

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 156087 2000-06-12 16:05 configure

the directory you're in likely has source code: and so
    "./configure" will crunch thru stuff, then--if all
    OK--write a Makefile: so you can say "make"

a good book is "Linux Pocket Guide" (O'Reilly) by
    Barrett.
    the sun is new every day (heraclitus)

Have you got a working internet connection on your device?

Just Joined!
    hi yes internet is fine

i have just had a reply from the people that make the mini book and they say its :- Remember this is not a full linux system, therefore it does not recognise full blown x86 linux apps. If you are downloading anything yoiu need to check if it is MIPS processor compatible.

but they say its debian based on there web site CnM Lifestyle Products - Technology for everyday people!

so now i am really baffled

thanks

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by tpl View Post
    well, I'll take a shot at it: let's start here

> open a command window....

OK, then to make a directory "mkdir <dirname>"
    to go over there "cd <dirname>"
    to see what's there "ls" or "ls -l" for more info

if you see something like this

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 156087 2000-06-12 16:05 configure

the directory you're in likely has source code: and so
    "./configure" will crunch thru stuff, then--if all
    OK--write a Makefile: so you can say "make"

a good book is "Linux Pocket Guide" (O'Reilly) by
    Barrett.
    thanks it wont let me mkdir even in root

i have just had a reply from the people that make the mini book and they say its :- Remember this is not a full linux system, therefore it does not recognise full blown x86 linux apps. If you are downloading anything yoiu need to check if it is MIPS processor compatible.

but they say its debian based on there web site CnM Lifestyle Products - Technology for everyday people!

so now i am really baffled

thanks

Is mkdir as a file in /bin

Do :
    Code:
    ls /bin
    and check if you see it.

Also, is the output of ./configure absolutely nothing, or is it showing a couple of lines and then stopping with working and not giving you a proper makefile.

I think there might indeed be a connection to your CPU when it comes to apt. However, things like ./configure and make should work normally. If they don't there is something wrong with either you, the machine or both. If something is wrong with you, then I'm referring to a mistyped command and not to you going bananas(although Linux can make you do so if you try something that's still too difficult for you).

Just Joined!
    thanks i have tried the ls /bin and got the display segment missing

also looking on their website they say :- Zip and tgz format compression files, with support for zip, gz and tar compressed files but lord only knows how to install these as none of the comands seem to work in root user
    Last edited by jpbroad1970; 01-08-2009 at 07:09 PM. Reason: extra info

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2