Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi, is there anyone out there that speaks plain english and can explain too me about my new acer notebook and its linux?????? i am begining too regret this purchase. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thumbs down acer notebook help

hi, is there anyone out there that speaks plain english and can explain too me about my new acer notebook and its linux?????? i am begining too regret this purchase. i need too be able too access msn i have tried wine and all the other things i have been advised too do. it downloads and safes in my downloads but will not open. i think that pc world will be getting a notebook back tomorrow morning. please explain why we need an alternative to windows

Either at home or at work or down the pub
    You feel like a troll, therefore I'll keep it simple so you can follow. Tell me if I'm typing too quickly.

Freedom.

[edit]If you're not a troll, I'll be more polite[/edit]
    "I used to be with it, then they changed what it was.
    Now what was it isn't it, and what is it is weird and scary to me.
    It'll happen to you too."

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    well you see some of us are people people and some are computer people. i am a nurse and work with people but unfortunatly have too use technowledgy to do our job but have no apptitude for it
    x

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    some of us are people people and some are computer people
    I didn't know these were mutually exclusive. But if this truly reflects your innate preconceptions, I am not surprised to see you are "stuck" on Windows.

why we need an alternative to windows
    Gee, I dunno. Why do we need an alternative to Ford? Or Verizon? All we need is one, right? Oh yeah, now I remember - market competition. *IF* you did look under the covers of Windows, you would see a bloated pile of virus-ridden code who's *philosophy* (small, clean programs, peer-reviewed code, inter-operability) is in direct contradiction to open source projects.

If Windows works for you, then by all means, continue using it.

For the same reason that the "driving environment" is worsened by the mass of drivers that know nothing about cars, computing has been and will continue to suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by janier62 View Post
    well you see some of us are people people and some are computer people. i am a nurse and work with people but unfortunatly have too use technowledgy to do our job but have no apptitude for it
    x
    OK, you are not a troll ( a person who posts an aggressive message to get a rise - they rarely post back) so I'll apologize for calling you one.

You don't say which Acer you have but if if it is the Aspire One it is running a version of Linux called Linpus. If this is the case it will have five tabs along the top of the desktop called internet, work, learn, play, settings

Under the internet tab there is a box called Messenger which will launch pidgin, an instant messaging client that can talk to many different messenger services including MSN.

It is usually installed by most Linux distributions and can be found under an internet menu heading (in case it is not the Aspire One).

Why Linux?

The freedom thing stands.

Freedom from viruses, spyware and trojans. Freedom from restrictive licence agreements and most of all the freedom to use our computers as we see fit, not as some corporation thinks we should use them.

Also without competition we would still be driving Model T's

[edit]Another car analogy. Sorry [/edit]

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    i did try that going into the messenger but it says " our protocol is not supported by the server" and yes it is an aspire one.....
    i appreciatae your reply and apologise for what you term my aggression. however everything i try too access read is written in gobbledy gook for us mere mortals. as i said i am a nurse and understand all things medical but this just blows my mind. i accept i have too move with the times but i am old too and cant keep up.
    thanks again
    jane
    x

No problem.

This appears to be an issue that many people had - it was due to MSN changing their protocol. Apparently the fix for the aspire one is available through the live update.

I don't know where that is on the aspire one, but I would guess there would be an icon in the tool bar at the bottom. If not there is something you can try. This is based on the Vanilla Linpus install I have put on my Laptop - Acer may have changed things around a bit. How to update should be in the manual though...

Go to the System tab and select Pkg Manager. In there click on Select Updates and click on Apply. Hopefully that should fix the problem.

Linky
    Last edited by elija; 01-04-2009 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Added Link

Grandpa Simpson

The Fifth Continent

Just Joined!
    thanks for that however my life updates cant/wont download as an error occured. but it said that all day yesterday too. and the systems tab only gives system info. think i will call it a day and stick with what know.
    thanks again
    x

Linux User
    Are you sure you're netbook is connected to the internet? because it sounds like it's not.

Just Joined!
    yes it isi am doing email on it no problem. i think i need too accept that as an infrequent user i will be better sticking with what i know
    thanks anyway