Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi. I, a linux newbie, recently downloaded and installed Mandrake Linux 10.0 onto my Sony VAIO PCG-FR130 laptop. Unfortunately, it did not detect my trackpad or my USB mouse. So, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't find USB mouse w/ Mandrake 10 on a VAIO

Hi.

I, a linux newbie, recently downloaded and installed Mandrake Linux 10.0 onto my Sony VAIO PCG-FR130 laptop.

Unfortunately, it did not detect my trackpad or my USB mouse.

So, the overarching question is how do I make it use my USB mouse (and the trackpad)?

For starters, I don't know if the USB is working properly or not. I gather that for some VAIOs you need to go into BIOS and tell it that you aren't using a PnP OS; unfortunately, my BIOS does not have that option. [The computer shipped with XP home, so I presume that they decided the option was superfluous.]

When I go to Mandrake Control Center 10, and choose Hardware, there is a section that says:

+ USB Controllers
    VT82C586B USB
    VT82C586B USB
    VT82C586B USB
    VT8235 USB Enhanced Controller
    UHCI Host Controller
    Amidst more information [and if you want it all, I can post it], I am told that the 'VT82C586B USB' ports use 'usb-uhci' modules; the 'VT8235 USB Enhanced Controller' uses a 'ehci-hdc' module, and, and this may be the problem, the 'UHCI Host Controller' uses module: 'unknown'. Its vendor is listed as 'Linux 2.6.3-7 mdk uhci_hcd'.

Now, I don't know what is supposed to happen when you plug/unplug a USB device with Mandrake 10; I tried it with my mouse and with my digital camera, and there is no indication that the system detects them.

Lastly, I should mention that the mouse and trackpad work under Windows, and that, under Linux, I have tried several different drivers in the mandrake control center, to no avail.

Thank you so much,
    Armagon

Just Joined!

Update

Just wanted to add an update.

I have found that if I don't have my USB mouse plugged in when I boot up Mandrake Linux, that it does detect and allow me to use my trackpad. [Unfortunately, the USB mouse still does not work if I plug it in after booting up.]

Armagon

Just Joined!
    Hi again.

My friend, who knows something about linux, sat down and helped me; we tried various things that didn't work. Finally, we stumbled onto a solution, which did not involve any changes.

If I boot up Mandrake with the USB mouse unplugged, the trackpad is detected. Then, if I plug my USB mouse into the right-most port (as seen from the front of the laptop -- I think it is port 1), the USB mouse is detected and both 'mice' work in harmony.

[If, OTOH, the USB mouse is plugged into any USB port while I boot up, the trackpad is not detected. Also, if I don't plug the USB mouse into the right-most port, it is not detected.]

Well, that's a work-around; if anyone knows how to make the other USB ports work (there are three of them), I'd sure appreciate finding out.

Thank you,
    Armagon

Just Joined!

Vaio Laptop

I too have a Vaio laptop. Not sure if my problem will help you or not since you were able to get yours working. Kinda odd how it does work in that one port but not the others and how you go about getting it to work.

My issue was like you were talking about with UHCI controllers n such.
    I had to recompile my kernel to get my USB mouse to work.
    I selected all 3 controllers as modules and made sure the full HID was selected made sure that it had usb mouse and keyboard selected.

After installing the newly recompiled kernel everything worked fine after I modified my XF86Config file to list the USB Mouse so it had one for the trackpad and one for the USB Mouse.

btw this was on FC2