Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I've just bought a netbook running linpus lite and thought it would be a good idea to setup a bios password. I entered the password, confirmed it and rebooted. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

[SOLVED] linpus bios password

Hi,

I've just bought a netbook running linpus lite and thought it would be a good idea to setup a bios password.

I entered the password, confirmed it and rebooted. It now won't let me login.

Searching around I've found out that it only allows 8 characters for the password and I've entered 9.

Any help with what happens to a password when you enter too many characters would be much appreciated.

oz
    forum.guy
    Welcome to the forums!

You'll probably need to reset the BIOS to the default settings. I don't know how to to that on your particular computer but maybe someone who does will respond right away. In the interim, you can check the owner manual for a possible BIOS fix.
    oz

Man, I hope this thread is legit, and I am not giving advice on unlocking a Hot Laptop. So here goes, I guess.

macles*: Acer Aspire One BIOS Recovery

When doing this fix, you must be very careful when it comes to flashing a bios. Any power interruption of any sort and the Laptop becomes a doorstop. Make sure external power supply is used, instead of relying on the Battery. I don't own one of these laptops so I am not an expert when it comes to netbooks. I prefer bullet proof laptops myself.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way. I Have a Masters in Raising Hell
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the quick reply

I'm in the process of creating a recovery usb device. Will this bypass the bios password when I enter setup mode as currently it is asking me for a password as soon as I press the button?

Read the comments section in the link I gave you. This fix seemed to make a bunch of folks happy when it came to having entered too many characters for a bios password. I am not a expert on these netbooks, so I really don't know the answer to your previous post.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Oh, and follow the instructions to the letter.
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Just Joined!
    Thanks a lot for the link rokytnji, that worked a treat and don't worry I am genuine, just having a very bad day but it's all good now.

Thanks again