Find the answer to your Linux question:
Ok so a few months ago i bought an Acer Aspire One netbook with Linpus lite pre installed as the OS i have tried to adjust to linux, i really ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Sorry Linux - little help please

Ok so a few months ago i bought an Acer Aspire One netbook with Linpus lite pre installed as the OS

i have tried to adjust to linux, i really have tried but the problems just keep popping up

i cant get my head around installing anything even with tutorials from this site, Linux basically foils me with every attempt u__U

i've tried but im just fed up now i cant use any of the programs that i am familiar with from windows and i've had enough

so my question is as basic as possible to a complete Linux idiot how would i wipe linux from the system and install windows xp instead? i remind you that the Acer aspire one has no CD rom drive to over complicate things.

Thanks if you help

Sorry Linux, i gave you a chance

oz
    forum.guy
    To wipe a drive of all content, go to a terminal and issue the following command:

Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
    You'll need to replace /dev/sda with your actual device name such as /dev/hda.

Using the dd command above will write zeros to the entire drive giving you a totally fresh start.

If needed, you can use the fdisk -l command to determine your device name:

Code:
    fdisk -l
    Note that it is a small letter L in the command and not a number 1.

Also, don't forget to enter the sudo in front of any commands where it is needed.

Your Windows installation might be better accomplished with help from someone on a true Windows forum, but perhaps there is someone here that can help you with that.

Best of luck with your new OS.
    oz

In case you want to give it a last shot...(Just remember your first days in Windows, didn't everything sound "Chinese" or "Greek"??)
    Follow the next simple steps to add programs to Acer Aspire One:

1. press alt+f2 or go to Files->My Documents to open the File Manager and then go to File->Terminal.
    2. In the terminal type: xfce-setting-show
    3. Click Desktop, then go to Behaviour tab
    4. Enable "Show desktop menu on right click"
    5. Right clicking on the desktop will now give you more options.
    6. Click System-> Add/Remove Software
    7. Give your password

You will see the available software and can choose to install anything that is on that list. You must be connected to the Internet, so it can download the programs and install them for you.
    A youtube video with the same instructions:
    YouTube - Enable Desktop Menu On Aspire One

If it asks for root password you can set it the following way:
    Go to Files->My Documents to open the File Manager and then go to File->Terminal.

To change root password, first you must become root:
    Code:
    sudo su
    and change the password with the command:
    Code:
    passwd
    When you type this command nothing will appear as you type your password. No ******* and the cursor won't move either.
    Last edited by L4Linux; 01-05-2009 at 10:48 PM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by ozar View Post
    To wipe a drive of all content, go to a terminal and issue the following command:

Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=1
    You'll need to replace /dev/sda with your actual device name such as /dev/hda.

Using the dd command above will write zeros to the entire drive giving you a totally fresh start.

If needed, you can use the fdisk -l command to determine your device name:

Code:
    fdisk -l
    Note that it is a small letter L in the command and not a number 1.

Also, don't forget to enter the sudo in front of any commands where it is needed.

Your Windows installation might be better accomplished with help from someone on a true Windows forum, but perhaps there is someone here that can help you with that.

Best of luck with your new OS.
    Thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by L4Linux View Post
    In case you want to give it a last shot...(Just remember your first days in Windows, didn't everything sound "Chinese" or "Greek"??)
    Follow the next simple steps to add programs to Acer Aspire One:

1. press alt+f2 or go to Files->My Documents to open the File Manager and then go to File->Terminal.
    2. In the terminal type: xfce-setting-show
    3. Click Desktop, then go to Behaviour tab
    4. Enable "Show desktop menu on right click"
    5. Right clicking on the desktop will now give you more options.
    6. Click System-> Add/Remove Software
    7. Give your password

You will see the available software and can choose to install anything that is on that list. You must be connected to the Internet, so it can download the programs and install them for you.
    A youtube video with the same instructions:
    YouTube - Enable Desktop Menu On Aspire One

If it asks for root password you can set it the following way:
    Go to Files->My Documents to open the File Manager and then go to File->Terminal.

To change root password, first you must become root:
    Code:
    sudo su
    and change the password with the command:
    Code:
    passwd
    When you type this command nothing will appear as you type your password. No ******* and the cursor won't move either.
    ^_^;; you helped me out with this last time i posted ^_^;; as simple as you made it i think to windows or mac to get my head around Linux's way of things ^_^;;