Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, guys! I'm just wondering and hoping that you can help me with my problem. I want to know how I will be able to remove the grub loader on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Removing Grub Loader on Laptop

Hi, guys! I'm just wondering and hoping that you can help me with my problem.

I want to know how I will be able to remove the grub loader on my Acer Travelmate laptop.
    I caught a virus last week when I'm still on windows, I was totally pissed off that time that I decided to fully migrate to linux (no partitions). And now I've decided to go back to windows.

I have the recovery cd of windows xp but I don't think it can fix the booting problem as I have tried installing back Windows again with it and all I got is the Grub Loader 1.5 saying Error 17.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Use Supergrub to restore Windows boot code to the MBR.

oz
    forum.guy
    Here's another option you can use to clear the MBR (master boot record) only, leaving partition tables alone:

Code:
    dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=446 count=1
    You'll need to replace /dev/sda with your actual device name such as /dev/hda.

If needed, you can use the fdisk -l command to determine your device name:

Code:
    fdisk -l
    Note that it is a lowercase letter L in the command and not a number 1.
    oz

Boot off the xp disk and select repair an existing installation. then you will be asked for the admin password for your system before being dumped out in the recovery console. run the following two commands:
    Code:
    C:\>fixmbr
    Code:
    C:\>fixboot
    This overwrites the mbr and ensures some of the other files required for windows to boot are there.