Find the answer to your Linux question:
linux does not recognise my web cam it is integrated with my laptop a Toshiba Satellite a215 s4747 is there any application on linux to install the windows driver or ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Exclamation web-cam driver installation

linux does not recognise my web cam it is integrated with my laptop a Toshiba Satellite a215 s4747 is there any application on linux to install the windows driver or is there any driver for linux x86 (32bits) that could be used with my web cam help please

also i have an issue some times when i restart the machine it will not load the grub it looks like it is freeze the laptop give me the option to go to the bios or select the boot device but event going to the select the boot device and select the hard drive the it turn on a black screen and no led indicates any operation with the hard drive and the grub doesn't load

Just Joined!
    my Cam:
    ID 04f2:b008 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd

Just Joined!

Thumbs up

driver found it was already installed with the kernel

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I was wondering, what udate was it that got the webcam working? Windows Vista got fried, and I am using Ubuntu Ultimate Edition entirely on it, and hope to get the webcam working on it. Thanks so much!

Linux Guru
    You can do what I do when looking for a device driver. First find it in the output of lspci -nn or lsusb. In this case it is this.
    Code:
    04f2:b008 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd
    Then go to Google and add "Linux driver for" to the beginning of it:

Linux driver for 04f2:b008 Chicony Electronics Co., Ltd

You will get all kinds of info!

By the way, try the uvcvideo driver module.
    Please do not send Private Messages to me with requests for help. I will not reply.

Just Joined!
    mostly it works simple with the uvcviedeo modules... my chicony cam works flawlessly i karmic koala Alpha 1