Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have two Dell laptops here with 64 megs of RAM, USB and PCMCIA ports so making them wireless will not be a problem. One has a 20- and the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Turn and old Win98 laptop into a NetBook

I have two Dell laptops here with 64 megs of RAM, USB and PCMCIA ports so making them wireless will not be a problem. One has a 20- and the other a 40-Gig hard disk. I'm thinking of turning them into NetBooks for a couple of 10- and 12-year-olds.

First off, is this a practical task or am I just dreaming?

I've never run any Linux distro longer than it took to get frustrated and run back to Windows so I really don't know much about what I'm asking so be kind and try to put it into some language I can understand.

Here is what I did to get an old box to run with linux

Yet Another Technology Site: Compaq Armada 1540DM running Windows 95 and Linux Puppy 2.15CE

Yet Another Technology Site: Damn Small Linux 4.0 install on Compaq 1540DM

One install will coexist with Windows. The other is a Linux only install without Windows in the computer anymore.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    Lead,Follow, or get the heck out of the way
    Tech Books
    Free Linux Books
    Newbie Guide
    Courses at Home

Most of the time the older hardware is well supported in GNU/Linux, that means that this is very possible. Most of the time hardware of 3-4 years old will be fully supported by GNU/Linux. I have never encountered hardware issues with GNU/Linux on older systems.

I think your problem will be the fact that you're used to MS Windoze. It will require a bit of learning to use the GNU/Linux platform to the fullest. The internet is full of information you can use and of course you can get back here if you have questions.